PDA

View Full Version : How to get the most $ out of a flopped full-house

10-18-2001, 01:16 AM
I was playing 4-8 at the Monte Carlo in Las Vegas today. The game was a typical loose low-limit game. I've been winning so I've earned a table image of a good player. On one hand, I flopped a full-house and got lots of action with it.

I'm on the button and pick up 5s4s. Four players limp ahead of me and I decide to play with so many limpers and excellent position. Both blinds play as well.

The flop is: 5h,4h,4d

Nice flop. Too bad nobody else has any of the good cards. But then my opponents start to surprise me. UTG bets out and two people call to a player two seats to my right. He raises! The woman to my right (solid) calls and the action gets to me. I decide to just call. The blinds fold and everybody else calls. Six players see the turn card.

Question 1: Does anybody want to 3-bet here? I was concerned that the 5 players yet to act (including the blinds) would have a hard time calling two small bets since it was unlikely they had either a 5 or a 4.

The turn is: 5h,4h,4d,6s

It's checked to the flop raiser (two to my right) and he bets again. The woman to my right calls. I decide, again, to just call so that nobody behind me has to call two big bets. Everybody calls.

Question 2: Is it time to raise? Can I expect enough people to call two big bets to make up for those who will fold if they have to call two bets but would call just one bet?

The river is: 5h,4h,4d,6s,5c

It's checked to the flop raiser/turn bettor and he bets again. The woman folds and I decide to speak up. I raise. EVERYBODY FOLDS!, including the flop raiser/turn bettor. As the fr/tb thought for a few seconds, he said "He isn't bluffing" and then laid down his cards. I really wanted to know what this guy would bet with a board like this so I offer to show him my cards if I can see what he's folding. I don't think I'm giving away any information by letting everybody know I bet/raise with full houses (Although I may lead them to believe I'm never bluffing. I'll need to use that if I'm going to give free information away).

I showed my 5s4s and there were a few ooohs and ahhhs. The fr/tb turned over QQ! I couldn't believe it. If he had raised pre-flop, I would have folded without a doubt in my mind. This is the second time in a week, that I've "sucked out" on a big pair that didn't raise pre-flop to drive me out (The other hand is written up in "I beat AA with 72o"). There are two other topics, one in Small Stakes and one in Medium stakes, where posters are choosing not to raise with AA. What's going on?

Back to the point. Is there anyway I could have gotten more money out of this hand. And, in general, how would you play a monster flop like this when you've got great position and so many players in the pot?

10-18-2001, 05:27 AM
smooth call on flop okay.

since u didn't raise flop, definately raise the turn. everyone's drawing to their flush and straights.

no one's gonna fold on the turn, hardly anyone folds in low limit [in that type of game u describe] even w/ a pair on board.

u have the goods, raise it up. charge them to draw next to dead. don't get over fancy, sometimes it'll bite u in the ass.

as for showing ur cards, nice lay down by the QQ guy, u just solidified a possible read/tell he has on u. w/ that big of a pot, i'd call on the river if i held QQ [of course it'd depend on the player]

late.

10-18-2001, 11:56 AM
You should raise the turn. There is a flush draw and a straight draw out there. Don't make the mistake of people needing a made hand to call.

Other than that, nothing exciting.

10-18-2001, 12:10 PM
Nice hand.

In this case, because of what happened and your position I call the flop. Let the draws pick up something more to draw to. On the turn..mission accomplished! Straight draws abound. Heck, maybe someone even made theirs. Raise over and over again. The open enders and 4 flushes aren't gonna drop, and really...you are representing the big trips (A-4s) or (less likely) a straight. They won't be that scared of you. You might get lucky and run into someone who has the straight and is willing to reraise for you. Get all your chips in now while they are drawing.

Also, don't forget. If you have a solid table image, the fact that you called 2 cold on the flop sets of warning bells in people's heads. I am more scared of good players who cold call than players who bet and raise. Calling again on the turn isn't fooling anyone. Note how quickly they all folded on the river. With a pot that big, you can almost always count on QQ to call you there. Suddenly waking up on the end just about exposes your cards to everyone.

The river is a truly heinous card. Not only does it counterfiet you, it drastically reduces the number of potential callers when you raise (and you still have to raise....a nekkid 4, or straight will still callyou)

Something to think about....what if the flop is not raised when it gets to you on the flop? I raise here every time. It usually causes them to horribly misread my hand, and I often get some juicy 3-bet opportunities because of it.

10-18-2001, 02:01 PM
one problem with slowplying is that the board can make it so no one can call anyway. thats why i tend to push early big hands in pots that have already grown up. certainly a raise on 4th is mandatory as you dont get to punish missed draws on the river as you found out.

after showing your hand they will remember forever that when you just call in those kind of pots you may be sitting on the goods and it may not pay to bet into you. you gave away too much info on your play by exposing yourself.

10-18-2001, 02:51 PM
People will pay when they have hope, not when they have nothing.

10-18-2001, 03:24 PM
Even before I saw the river 5, I began to doubt if just calling on the turn was a mistake, especially with the 6 hitting on the turn and creating straight draws. The draws would have called. Next time, I'm raising.

The 5 on the river was the worst card that could come.

10-18-2001, 03:45 PM