PDA

View Full Version : Pot Limit Omaha Hand (Pokerstars 3-6 Blinds)

Jeffage
01-25-2004, 01:18 PM
Playing some PLO High on Stars, Blinds are 3 and 6, $600 Max Buy-In. I'min the BB with 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifA /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. My stack is $821.80. 5 people call the $6, SB folds, I check. Flop is 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Obviously I like it. I check hoping someone will bet my hand for me. Check to MP player ($637 stack before he makes this bet) who bets $36 (about the pot). Folded to me, I checkraise it up another $60 (to $96 total). Others fold, he calls. Turn is the ugly 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I bet $90, he calls quickly. What do you think of this bet. What are your plans for the river. Bet a moderate amount? What if you're raised? If you check, how big a bet are you willing to call if any. River is the 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif. What I did, and the results to follow. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Acesover8s
01-25-2004, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Playing some PLO High on Stars, Blinds are 3 and 6, $600 Max Buy-In. I'min the BB with 7 A 4 9 . My stack is $821.80. 5 people call the $6, SB folds, I check. Flop is 5 9 8 . Obviously I like it. I check hoping someone will bet my hand for me. Check to MP player ($637 stack before he makes this bet) who bets $36 (about the pot). Folded to me, I checkraise it up another $60 (to $96 total). Others fold, he calls. Turn is the ugly 5 . I bet $90, he calls quickly. What do you think of this bet. What are your plans for the river. Bet a moderate amount? What if you're raised? If you check, how big a bet are you willing to call if any. River is the 10 . What I did, and the results to follow. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you checkraise a lot? Do you checkraise bluff a lot? If not, checkraising screams the nuts and allows the hands you want in that they are badly beaten, but may not chase out the 2 and 3 pair hands.

Why raise less than the pot here? With plenty of money left to bet, I have no problem betting big and attempting to take it down.

The turn is a bad card, but a called bet here will usually be -EV. In this spot I like to check/call or check-fold depending on my opponents ability to bluff.

If you do bet and are raised its an easy fold unless hes a maniac.

crockpot
01-25-2004, 04:45 PM
i like betting out on the flop. no one is going to bet this flop without a flush, and you are better off betting yourself and hoping to collect from lower flushes and hands that can fill up, than by checking and probably allowing everyone with outs to get a free card.

i would check-fold this river. any knowledge of who you're up against is helpful, though. a bet for value is out of the question unless your opponent is crazy.

Utah
01-25-2004, 04:57 PM
Lead out, hope you get raised, and come over the top with a massive raise.

Check-raising has very little value in Pot Limit Omaha.

Acesover8s
01-26-2004, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Lead out, hope you get raised, and come over the top with a massive raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly right.

[ QUOTE ]
Check-raising has very little value in Pot Limit Omaha.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly wrong. While in this hand and many hands like it it is bad, there are many times when it is the correct play, with made hands, draws, and bluffs.

Jeffage
01-26-2004, 07:20 PM
Thanks for all your responses. Well, I botched this hand pretty bad I guess, but I'm still learning PLO. On the river, an offsuit 10 slid off. I wasn't sure what to do, but I didn't want to check and face a pot-sized bet. So I bet $100 (groan, I know..with these responses, I understand why a bet is dumb here). He called. He showed Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and someother card. So I lost on the river...oh well, fight the battles later I guess. The one interesting thing is, if I had checked the turn, he prob would have bet massively and I would have a tough decision. Fold or call against an unknown? I think I would check the riv in this situation next time.

Jeff