PDA

View Full Version : Was my opponent weak-tight or what?

10-16-2001, 05:04 PM
7 handed game. UTG folds. I am next and open-raise with AhQs. One opponent, who I consider weak-tight, cold calls. Everyone else folds, heads up.

Flop is Qd 3h 2h. I bet and he calls.

Turn is the Kd. I bet and he shows me AcQc and folds, saying "I didn't like that turn card."

I (of course) folded face down, letting him think I had AK.

Was my opponent weak-tight or what? I'll keep this in mind when betting against him in the future....

Comments welcome.

Dave in Cali

10-16-2001, 05:44 PM
He's definitely not a strong player. With AcQc I may have re-raised before the flop, though the cold call isn't horrible. With that flop though he had to raise your bet. If you raised him back then he might worry that he was already beat and at best tied. Since he didn't say anything on the flop I can understand why he didn't like the turn. Of course he could have raised you on the turn to see what you'd do. He had position. You may have laid yours down right there. If you called, then he could probably check off the river after you.

10-16-2001, 06:41 PM
Riddle me this: Which hands could you reasonably have in your spot (considering the tight player called your raise) that you WOULD bet in that spot? Would you really bet AJs? Split this list into hands that cannot beat AQ and those that can (AA, KK, AK, QQ) Now compare that ratio to the size of the pot vis-a-vis the opponents pot odds to call.

Now, was it a terrible fold?

- Louie

10-17-2001, 10:13 AM
It wasn't a terrible fold, but he should have raised me on the flop at least. Had I been in his spot, I would have raised the flop, then, if reraised, probably folded the turn. If just called, I would probably call to the river.

10-17-2001, 04:53 PM
Just curious, what would you have done if he had raised you on the flop? I'm assuming you'd reraise? Then what do you do when the K falls on the turn?

Matt

10-18-2001, 06:58 PM
Excellent question. Had he played it better, he probably could have taken the pot, given his position over me.