PDA

View Full Version : Leaving a bet on the table

WalleyeJason
01-25-2004, 02:37 AM
Ok here is a hand I just played, and I feel like I wussed out because a Scare card falls on the river.

Party 3/6

I am UTG+1

Im Delt 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG Raises to 6

I call

LP calls

Flop 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG bets 3

I raise to 6, LP folds and UTG calls.

Turn 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG checks, I bet he calls

River Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif

He bets...

I feel that he has just hit his heart to make a flush, so I just call...

Did I wuss out here?

What would you do here

SpaceAce
01-25-2004, 02:44 AM
I don't see anything wrong with just calling. Given his play, I don't think it's a stretch to think he might be holding something like ThJh. If you raise and he has the flush, you're going to get reraised. If you raise and he doesn't have it, he'll probably just call you down and on rare occasions, he may even fold. So, you gain one or lose one. I think calling is fine.

SpaceAce

balkii
01-25-2004, 03:26 AM
I would just call here. The sudden bet is suspicious, I figure: (1) hes bluffing, so no point in raising, as he wont call the raise or (2) he hit the flush and didnt want it to get checked through, cause he thought you wouldnt bet when the scare card hit. In those two cases, just calling is better than raising.

The only time raising makes sense is if he has something like KQs or AQ. I dont know how often that will be compared to the other hands...but i just call.

WalleyeJason
01-25-2004, 03:34 AM
The only time raising makes sense is if he has something like KQs or AQ.

YA, he had AQ, so after I figured I coulda probaly got another bet out of him, but I didnt think he would chase that far with Overs like that. I though maybe AKh or AJh

Anyway, Thanks

WJ

Gonzoman
01-25-2004, 03:54 AM
I'm new here so bear with me... I'm not a big fan of the cold call pf. With only the pf raiser voluntarily in the pot, it's usually raise or fold from almost any position. Since the raise came from utg, I would fold unless the table is really loose and you know you will get at least 2 more cold callers.

Bob T.
01-25-2004, 08:07 AM
I would fold here preflop against an UTG raiser.

On the river, he is probably either bluffing, or has a made hand, raising probably doesn't get you another bet either way, and it might cost you two. I would just call here.

curtisvill
01-25-2004, 12:03 PM
I would fold pre-flop to a raiser. I think you are out of position for that call with people to act behind you.

John

Jeffage
01-25-2004, 12:26 PM
To me, this is a fold or 3-bet preflop. A strong UTG raiser usually has an overpair which u are drawing thin to or AK, AQ, etc which you are marginally ahead of...this is generally a losing situation unless you get a few coldcallers in front of you to play for the set value (which u didn't). If the player has loose raising standards, I would reraise. Once you played the hand, I think a river raise is a given. He could easily be valuebetting an AQ he didn't want to give up heads up(thinking u won't raise for fear of a heart flush). I say splash now, cry later if he rivered 3 Queens. The thing is, I don't think he has them...he wouldn't have played so passively on the flop and turn. Also, most people won't raise UTG with something like J10, suited or not. In general, I think u will win another bet more than u will lose 2 more in this scenario.

Jeff