PDA

View Full Version : Limit v No Limit

heyrocker
01-25-2004, 02:36 AM
I have recently dipped my toe in the water of limit tourney play at low limits (like those cheap multis at Stars,) and have found it extremely frustrating. It seems like the players are genuinely worse than the low limit NL players, however in NL you have far more freedom to manipulate them. My general impression was that a) you need to be a LOT tighter than in NL, and bluffing or semi-bluffing is less effective. For instance, in NL if I flop middle pair top kicker, I will often toss in a pot sized bet, but it seems like in limit that doesn't fly because you can't use bet size to push people around. Especially at these limits people will call with anything regardless of how big the blinds are. b) Position seems to be way more important in limit. In NL you can use informational bets to find out where you stand, but in limit it doesn't fly so the information you get from being in position becomes that much more valuable.

Are these observations accurate? I've only played a couple events, so I may be way off base. Anyone have any general comments on the differences between limit and no limit tourney play?

Al_Capone_Junior
01-25-2004, 10:08 AM
Although I do play limit tourneys sometimes, I avoid limit SNGs like the plague. If you ARE going to play them, stars is the place tho. There's just too much of a crapshoot for my taste. You NEED to GET DEALT GOOD CARDS, particularly in the third and fourth rounds in most structures. Your observations seem quite reasonable.

al