PDA

View Full Version : KK... how'd I do?

Schneids
01-25-2004, 01:16 AM
Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)

Table is loose passive, with a couple weak-spots. However, none are involved in this hand. The CO in this hand appears to be somewhat solid, but tends to err in playing a little too passive and calling a little too much.

Schneids2k02 has K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is MP1

Schneids2k02 raises, CO 3-bets, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Schneids2k02 calls

Flop(7 1/2 SB): 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Schneids2k02 bets, CO calls

Turn(4 3/4 BB): 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Schneids2k02 checks, CO bets, Schneids2k02 raises, CO calls

River(8 3/4 BB): 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Schneids2k02 bets, CO calls

I will post results in awhile and my own comments.

BaronVonCP
01-25-2004, 01:21 AM
What was the purpose of the turn check-raise?

fluff
01-25-2004, 01:38 AM
I'd cap the PF. KK is a great hand to have heads up.

Flop brings a scare card, but betting out is ok.

I don't understand the turn check raise. Do you think it was for value or trying to push him out? Either way, since he doesn't drop out, you have to figure him for having an A. Along with PF 3-bet I'd put him on AQ or AK. Unless you read him as someone who is insensitive to PF raises and someone who falls in love with QQ or JJ, you're likely behind here.

After your check raise got called on the turn, I'd check-call the river, hoping that he'd check behind you.

bdypdx
01-25-2004, 01:48 AM
KK.

Unusual. I doubt this hand has ever been posted, much less replied to....

Schneids
01-25-2004, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
KK.

Unusual. I doubt this hand has ever been posted, much less replied to....

[/ QUOTE ]

What's that supposed to mean?

bdypdx
01-25-2004, 01:52 AM
Like do a search for example...

Schneids
01-25-2004, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd cap the PF. KK is a great hand to have heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there was at least one additional caller, I would cap every time. However, I prefer to call with AA and KK under the assumption that I'll get an extra BB out of them off on a later street, rather than capping PF now and often getting them to just check/call the whole way (at least, in passivish games). That's one reason I posted this hand here, I want to see if people think this is good/bad?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the turn check raise. Do you think it was for value or trying to push him out?

[/ QUOTE ]
A little of both. I felt reasonably confident that he'd have cold-called with AJ/AQ and maybe even AKo, so, I was basing my c/r off what I considered a real likely possibility that he'd be married to his PP and call. Tricky play, and definitely a player dependent one. Also, the added bonus of the small possibility of getting him to fold an ace (yes I know it'd be a bad fold by him, but, some people might make it thinking I was slowplaying AA or AK on them.)

Schneids
01-25-2004, 02:17 AM
Yeah, sorry, you're right. There's been millions of posts where people have open raised KK PF, been three-bet, then only called it, then bet out on an ace high flop, proceeded to c/r the turn, then bet the river.

My bad. Next time I'll just post asking whether I can ever defend my BB from a raise while holding 75o.

bdypdx
01-25-2004, 02:26 AM
Hey,

Sorry I was so snotty about it. I've received some "very" good advice in this forum.

I'd like to do better.

bdy

BaronVonCP
01-25-2004, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If there was at least one additional caller, I would cap every time. However, I prefer to call with AA and KK under the assumption that I'll get an extra BB out of them off on a later street, rather than capping PF now and often getting them to just check/call the whole way (at least, in passivish games). That's one reason I posted this hand here, I want to see if people think this is good/bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

I might do this with AA, but I wouldn't try this so often with KK. It definately should not be your standard play.

WalleyeJason
01-25-2004, 02:45 AM
I prefer to call with AA and KK under the assumption that I'll get an extra BB out of them off on a later street, rather than capping PF now and often getting them to just check/call the whole way

Get it preflop, they may just see the flop and fold. One in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.

Schneids
01-26-2004, 05:40 PM
CO had JJ and MHIG.

My turn check-raise was basically for value and the result of all of the following reasons coming together:
1. A somewhat solid player 3-betting me PF, instead of cold-calling.
1.5. The somewhat solid player's flaw being, that he calls a little too much and hangs onto hands a little too long.
2. An ace appearing on the flop, and him only calling my bet (versus the other alternative of, him having an ace and raising).

From #1, I felt reasonably comfortable in assuming that he'd have cold called me with AKo, AQ, and AJ, and since I have two K's, that leaves two possible AKs he could have and three-bet -- versus many PP combinations he'd also three-bet. Put #2 together with 1.5, and I figured I was against a worse hand that would not want to resist betting the turn if checked to. And since he calls too much, I'd get additional value out of him holding a lower PP.