PDA

View Full Version : computer tech help needed(off topic)

krazyace5
01-25-2004, 12:53 AM
I am having a problem all of a sudden tonight with Party Poker draining my system resources to the point where pp freezes up and I have to restart it. Any ideas how I can fix this, I have the $200,000 tourny tomorrow and need to get these bugs worked out before then.

I loaded some software earlier for a digital camera, since I thought it might be that I uninstalled that software and a bunch of other stuff I don't really use, and I still have the same problem.

Just yesterday I could play multiple tables at pp and today I can barely play one. Any tips or ideas to fix this problem are appreciated.

Thanks

Wake up CALL
01-25-2004, 12:56 AM
Are you using Windows XP?

krazyace5
01-25-2004, 01:02 AM
Windows 98, I just logged on again to try to talk to customer support, and it started draining my system without even having a table opened.

jasonHoldEm
01-25-2004, 01:08 AM
are you sure it's your system? Party itself has been having a lot of issues over the last couple days, frequent lags in between hands, etc...just a thought.

J

krazyace5
01-25-2004, 01:14 AM
I think it is Party, but since I put new software on earlier I am not 100% sure, I put my system resource meter on and you can see it(party) draining my resources, I was just wondering if there was something I could do on my end so I am not out $215 tomorrow.

Wake up CALL
01-25-2004, 01:19 AM
First try another poker site, Party is causing everyone problems right now.

If the other site works fine I cannot help you. If it does not go and clean out your temporary internet files.

Start: Control Panel: Internet Options: Click on Delete Files: Check delete all ofline content: Click OK: Wait till the hourglass disappears: Click on Settings: Move the control bar 3/4 of the way to the right: Click on OK: Click on the next OK: Close the Control Panel and HOPE!

krazyace5
01-25-2004, 01:56 AM
Thanks, must be PP cause True Poker works fine, wish I woulda thought of that before I uninstalled all my new software. Hopefully they get this fixed soon.

goodguy_1
01-25-2004, 02:31 AM
but since I put new software on earlier I am not 100% sure

If you have a small hardrive and you just added a large program that could be the problem.How much extra space did you have on your hardive before you installed whatver program it was..

In my experience low resources are caused by lack of RAM to do many tasks at once,how many programs are you currently running -is it more than usual??
First Reboot and monitor your system resource meter as you boot up and open up programs..
You may also need to re-adjust your virtual memory settings.

Also in general if you dont have alot of RAM like 256 megs minimum or a limited hardrive u may want to limit the amount of crap that boots up automatically when you reboot your pc..go to run/type "msconfig"/use selective startup-go to last tab and uncheck programs that auto start-up

Also your virtual memory may be low for some reason

If the new software you downloaded was a hog-- thats the problem

If you have more poker rooms open than usual and you only have 128 megs or even 256 megs of RAM and you havent rebooted all day or 2 days thats also possibly it..

I just upgrade this workstation I had 512 megs now have 1000 megs.you can get by on 256 possibly but for most people I'd say get 512 now.If you are apoker-freak you need a robust sytem with alot of memory

gabyyyyy
01-25-2004, 11:53 AM
The key is is not how much memory you have, but how you utilize that memory.

I have 256mb ram and am able to run adobe photoshop, word, and 3 poker clients with out any freezes. I am running Windows 2000 professional.

I am in the market for more memory, not neccesarily because I NEED it, just because it is nice to have.

Solution for your problem:

Get a better operating system!

Roark
01-25-2004, 01:21 PM
Party support told me it's a memory leak problem thier software has with win 98.Sometimes it locks when opening table,but usualy I can play about two hours then need to reboot.

Cyndie
01-25-2004, 01:58 PM
If you are committed to playing an important tourney...be sure to have a friend who is ready to log on, and get a phone card or cheap long distance if needed so you can play your tourney even if your computer won't stay logged on.

Jim Easton
01-25-2004, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
win 98

[/ QUOTE ]

Windows 98 has issues with memory management, especially with large amounts of RAM.

goodguy_1
01-25-2004, 04:24 PM
Gabby chill out

6-7 programs...hahahah thats funny.
On a typical nite I have the follwing running on my desktop-it looks like around a total of 15-17 applications
I can not run this much stuff on my current system w/256 megs RAM..500 was passable but started to have occasional issues:

1.)Outlook Express(left open to monitor handhistories and read RGP Newsgroup)

2.)4-5 webpages up at all times:2+2,YahooFinace,Yahoo Calendar for daily Tourney schedule and Yahoo Weather and usually some random site.

3.)PokerTracker

4.)Party and at least 2-3 other skins usually Multi Poker,Intertops or EuroBet(which I play alot at now Crock! /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

5.PokerCalculator

6.PokerStars

7.Paradise

8.Golden Palace

9.Pacific Poker

10.Royal Vegas(Prima)

Sometimes WSEX and sometimes UB

I typically run 7-8 poker clients at once.

This is a Dell P420 Workstation with 2 900 MHZ processors-this system is more than 3 years old.It came with 500 megs of RAM.Running on Windows 2000 Pro..which I love ..as solid as NT.The original hardrive and a replacement both crashed .Dell sent me out a monster huge upgrade Seagate 163 GB for the hassle on the third go around.I had WindowsXP Home on laptop-nightmare to say the least...returned it.Windows 2K or XP Pro for me as of right now.I also loved win95,win98 and WINNT so I'm not hard to please.
2 Sony Trintron 21" use a Matorx Parhelia video card.Flat panels are still too expensive..but hopefully soon they will be in my range
I am very nitpicky and always keep things very tidy.
I have disabled all unnecesaary start-up programs thru the nifty "msconfig" utility u can find on the web.
The only thing I have opening up is Norton Internet Security Professional which includes Firewall protection and Norton AntiVirus Pro-most integrated smoothest running security setup I've ever had.
plus my "DU Meter" utilty that is helpful.

These are just programs I have up not all the various processes running on Win2K Pro by default-some of these processes are not necessary to have running-you can stop them manualy but be very careful with that /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.I have learned by focking everything up at least 2 times /images/graemlins/smile.gif

When I was in working mode with all this stuff up and had 500 megs of RAM. I occasionally had issues.I would in general be using more than 70%-80% of my Total Physical Memory which is fine but getting higher than that I dont like.I noticed performance issues..if
I was on abender had tons of stuff open-more than usual.That was fine but I knew I had plenty of extra slot space and relished keeping this system up to date.

The doubling of memory has been awesome.!!I would tell anyone that gets PC or Latop now to get minimum 500 megs more like 1 GB of RAM..you gotta look out over next 2-3-4 years not just now.Also the new Seagate was helpful.Combined my processors are up to date somewhat..but i wouldnt advise anyone to get dual -processors...they can create havoc on certain progams.Developers at BigBet found out reason client kept on crashing for me was my having dual processors.

The system was originally used and bought as a replacemt workstation for my trading operation.

gabyyyyy
01-25-2004, 07:59 PM
I will save you some embaressment with your friends. Adobe photoshop uses more physical memory then 10 poker clients running at the same time.

goodguy_1
01-25-2004, 08:39 PM
Gabby-you are a negative person with a negative vibe..a
I didnt just make all that chit up to waste time.that was my own experience with my system.
I'm wrong constantly all day long If I'm wrong on this so be it..but why be nasty and malevolent..really .I hate your negativism it permeates everthing you write..i dont know you but seriously try and chill out..you goona die young.

and ps how does posting your info.save me embaraasment..If i'm wrong so what..I learn others learn..but you seem to get off on being nasty and miserable ..hopefully thats just it or else u are nasty and misearable.I am warm yappy type..yea I yap too much..be a lover not a hater.I only get riled when others attack me or i see untruth ..you seem to on a perpetual pitbull thing -snapping at everybody's heels..pissed off for some reason.

peace Lee

gabyyyyy
01-25-2004, 08:54 PM
"Gabby-you are a negative person with a negative vibe.."

Sorry to hear that you think having an intelligent conversation is negative.

goodguy_1
01-25-2004, 08:54 PM
I just opened up Adobe Acrobat reader..I'm sure that uses less memory than Adobe Photoshop.
Acrobat uses 27,788K
Various Poker clients use 10,300-20,732K
Each Party or Party skin seem to use around 13,500K or so.
Prima is the biggest hog I see being highest PokerStars of course lowest!!
Even if PhotoShop uses alot more memory to say it uses 10 times as much is I would guess is an exageration

gabyyyyy
01-25-2004, 08:55 PM
I am running adobe photoshop 7.0 right now, and it is using 137,248 of phsyical memory.

goodguy_1
01-25-2004, 09:02 PM
Wow and you still can smoothly navigate about with multiple poker programs and only 256 megs of RAM.Just add 5 small clients to that and you bumping up against 90-100% usage of all your RAM..and thats HELL

you'll need more RAM sooner than later....

BradleyT
01-25-2004, 11:42 PM
Something is wrong with your photoshop settings then.

I use CS and it doesn't use that much (only 25-50MB) with 50MB being when a full screen image is loaded.

Simon Diamond
01-25-2004, 11:57 PM
Something is wrong with your photoshop settings then.

I'll second that. Photoshop 7.0 doesn't use that much memory on my system.

Simon

pretender2k
01-26-2004, 04:26 AM
I am not sure if this even has anything to do with it because I run win xp but I am having the same type of problem. the thing running in the background eating my cpu is svchost.exe. From what I have figured out so far svchost.exe is a generic thing that runs dll files so it is most likely something else running that causes this to run. I have not fixed it yet but right now I am scanning the system with pest patrol to check for spyware and such. I will update this if I actually figure out what caused it but if it is like most things I get it fixed, don't know how and really don't care as long as it works lol

goodguy_1
01-26-2004, 05:01 AM
DO NOT mess with svchost.exe-its one of those services you do not want to stop randomly under the service tab on any version of Windows 2000 or XP.. if you do you are in deep dodo and its hard to start up again if you dont know what you are doing-Svchost.exe (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056)

[ QUOTE ]
The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and easier debugging.

[/ QUOTE ]
.. you can have mutltiple svc.host's stated when you open up various internet connections/...

it's really a key service for setting up internet connections

all I know is that I have messed with it and manually stopped and you dont want to do that unlike alot of services which you can stop or just leave on automatic that arent neccessary-like closed verison of major programs like Adobe Acrobat will stay open and use memory even after u close out the program...