PDA

View Full Version : Flush draw on the flop, Straight draw on the turn

10-16-2001, 12:44 AM
This is a 4-8 Hold'em hand from a couple weekends ago at the Monte Carlo in Las Vegas.

An early position player (EP) limps, I limp in middle position with 9d8d, two more players limp behind me and the blinds play as well. 6 players see a flop of...

Kd,7c,4d

It gets checked to me and I bet my four flush. Both players behind me call and the EP calls. Both blinds folded.

The turn is Kd,7c,4d,Ts

This gives me and open-ended straight as well as a four-flush. The EP checks. I could have as many as 17 outs here to make the flush or straight but I'm assuming that all three other players either caught part of the flop, have a pocket pair, or possibly a better flush draw than me. Should I bet out or do I have enough outs to go for a check-raise here? Anyone want to just check-call?

Results later.

10-16-2001, 10:49 AM
I would bet and call if raised. You have lots of outs and I would think you want to get money in on this premium draw. A checkraise will not necessarily work here, and no one will fold, forcing you to complete the draw to win. I wouldn't get too fancy here, but that is just my opinion.

Jeff

10-16-2001, 02:28 PM
I'm no poker expert --

but I'd check-call. The remaining two people would

both have to call in order for you to be getting

proper odds to bet, even assuming that you'd win if you

got your flush or straight. And it seems quite possible

to me that you might not have the highest hand if you

make the flush or straight with the J...

10-16-2001, 06:47 PM
Don't give up the momentum. Bet again. No guarantee anyone will bet if you check so checkraise is risky. Checking and calling is weak poker with a good draw like this.

KJS

10-16-2001, 11:39 PM
I bet the turn and everybody folded.

This hand was running through my head for about a week. I kept wondering if check-raising would be the better play in the future with so many outs. I'm still not sure.

Obviously, nobody had enough to call the big turn bet with a King high board. I assume my tight table image paid big dividends with this semi-bluff.