PDA

View Full Version : Play of overcards: non-premium

10-12-2001, 06:44 PM
I limp late, 3rd into the pot, with AhJc. Both blinds call and we see the flop 5 handed. My hand is worth a late limp, especially against this relatively loose, poor playing field of eight players. However, my hand is certainly not premium by any means. I am last to act.

Flop comes 4s 5s 8c. Both blinds check, bet, call to me. I fold. My reasoning is that there's a possible flush draw out there, several ways to have straight draws, and I am likely behind as it is. Had there only been a bettor, and no caller, I might have considered calling or maybe even raising, depending on my assessment of the bettor. However, most of the time, I think this is a clear fold. The caller makes it more likely that you are drawing thinner than you might think you are. At least one of the two players in the pot has to have a pair most of the time, and if they don't, they probably both have good draws. So even if you hit your pair, you could still lose several ways. your pair might complete their flush draw, or you might wind up getting drawn out on by getting rivered. Also, if you hit an ace, many players play Axs, so you might lose to aces up. Overall it's not worth it to call here.

Now if the situation was different, you might play differently. Assume the same pre-flop situation exactly. Evaluate each of the following flops and bet situations and tell me if you would call, raise, or fold…

1. 9h 3s 6c. everyone checks to the guy on your right.

2. 4c 5c 9h. SB bets and BB calls, rest fold.

3. 8c 8h 2d. All check to the guy on your right, who bets.

4. 3d 3s 9c. BB bets and one player calls.

5. 2d 3s 4c. BB bets and two call to you.

My answers:

1. Consider raising him. He might be trying to steal it. Just calling I don't like, because you let others into the pot cheaply. If you don't think he's trying to steal, fold.

2. fold. with a bet and a call, you know you are behind, and your ace or jack might not be good anyway, plus there are two clubs on board.

3. I like folding. If you aren't going to fold though, I would raise for similar reasons as in #1.

4. Absolutely fold. With the BB betting and a caller, you are behind for sure. Also, if one of them has a three, you would lose a lot if you hit a jack or ace.

5. I might call here. You like a jack, and a five might give you the winner with a wheel. Also, the board is rainbow. However, folding would be fine by me, as you can't really count on an ace, and even a five might not be an out if someone else has a six. Even if you hit a jack and it's good, your opponents still have redraws going into the river.

Overall, if you just folded this every time, you would be doing fine by me. After all, you don't rally have a hand….

Comments welcome

Dave in Cali

10-13-2001, 06:16 PM
I think you should raise preflop with this hand. You have too bad players who limped in you stand to have the best hand and you want to get the blinds out if possible and take control of the hand. Play it like AK.

The situation you were in is a clear fold on the flop. your beat and could get in more trouble if you hit a pair on the turn because it might make someone 2 pair or someone might alraedy have a big nahd with the cards connected like that. Point is your beat in a small pot no reason to get involved. If you raised things would have gone differently.

5) I would call. The rest are folds. The 2 when bet on your right could be raises against habitual flop betters.