PDA

View Full Version : Programmed Poker

Al Mirpuri
01-24-2004, 10:11 AM
Programmed Poker is a book by Jim Glenn.

Who is he?

He gives playing advice for 5 stud lowball. Is he playing 7-2, 6-A or wheel lowball?

He gives percentages for pairs/nonpairs to win at the end in eight-handed 5 stud. Does anyone have the book and know the exact percentages? I think it was 56% and 36%.

Any help, much appreciated.

uuDevil
01-24-2004, 01:11 PM
Al,

Table 10 on p. 55 shows % wins in 3-way showdown in an 8-handed 5 card stud (high) game "when holding the best possible kind of:" no pair=13%, one pair=82%, two pair=94%,... Lowball is not covered in the book.

From inside the back cover: "Jim Glenn, writer, classical guitarist, and classical poker player from Texas,..."

As you may know, this book isn't generally well thought of-- I just happened to find a cheap copy in a used bookstore. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Al Mirpuri
01-26-2004, 08:26 AM
Dear uuDevil,

Thanks for replying.

I'm afraid I failed to make myself understood.

Within the 5 stud chapter there is a small section on 5 stud lowball (or 5 stud for low - call it what you will). What I need to know is, is Jim Glenn giving advice for A-5, A-6 or 2-7 stud lowball when he says never play any two unpaired cards that add up to more than ten (eg 27 are playable but AT is not).

uuDevil
01-27-2004, 07:24 PM
Al,

Oops, I was wrong, there are short sections on lowball in the book (I've only skimmed it).

He does give the advice you mention in the 5 card stud section. He also says "hands are ranked as in lowball," which I assume refers to the 5 card draw lowball section in the previous chapter, where he says 5-high is the best hand. So this is A-5, right?

Hope that clears things up. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif