PDA

View Full Version : Questionable turn check

10-12-2001, 09:32 AM
A 4/8 foxwoods game from a couple weeks back. I have AKo in early position. UTG limps, I raise. A somewhat weak, loose player calls in late position. This player is passive in that he is afraid of raises, but not bets. You know the type ... overvalues middle pairs, calling and betting with them, yet he rarely gets tricky with bluffing. The blinds fold. 3 players.

Flop is A99 rainbow. checked to me, I bet. only the weak late position player calls. 2 players.

Turn is an offsuit K. Here's my question. Is it reasonable or routine to check here? If I check call the turn, or check call all the way to the end, I think I will lose the least when behind and win the most when ahead. My thinking at the time (in order of importance):

1. It's entirely possible this player has a nine, and if he does I will get raised on the turn. Against this player, that's a tough decision whether to call the raise or not. I doubt that he'd raise without a nine, but he could correctly realize I can't have a nine and raise based on an ace.

2. If he has an ace, he is drawing dead. The free/cheap card is not dangerous. Regardless, he will likely bet an ace if I check it.

3. He might make a second best hand or think his current hand is good if I give him a card. He could easily bet a king or a pocket pair to the end here if I check.

4. With the pair and ace king on board, and the strength I've shown, I don't want to move him off his hand with a checkraise.

I am debating whether or not a checkraise here is better. I now doubt my assumption that he might fold to the checkraise. His most likely hand is an ace, and I will win an extra bet if I c/r. If he 3 bets, I can safely muck so when I'm beaten I will lose the same as calling him down.

Thoughts?

10-12-2001, 11:28 AM
this is a vary your play type hand. you should bet it differently at times. it works well to check and call if he bets or if he checks with you you can safely bet on the river and maybe get called from a bluff catcher. or bet out and fold if raised or call him down based on how he plays. a check raise works fine from those that will bet an ace, and you may want to fold if reraised based on the size of the pot.

10-15-2001, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the response Ray.

Though it's not really important as far as my questions so, I may as well post what happened.

My opponent bet on the turn, and I called as I planned. River was a rag below 9, and I checked called again. He showed AQ and was totally surprised that I won this hand. Definitely should have at least considered a checkraise on the river, since at this point I've already gotten all the bets I can from kings and pocket pairs.