PDA

View Full Version : Set, 2 opponents, river decision

pufferfish
01-24-2004, 01:18 AM
$2/$4, Party, 10-handed. It’s the beginning of my second orbit at the table. I don’t have much in the way of reads except I have seen some really loose hands shown down. Seems like a juicy table.

I’m UTG+2 with 6c 6d.

UTG folds, UTG+1, me, EMP, MP, LMP, and CO call. Button and SB fold. BB checks. Seven see the flop for 7.5 sb.

FLOP: [ As Ks 6h ] – 2 spades.

Checked to me and I bet. MP calls and LMP raises. Folded to me and I 3-bet. MP and LMP call. Three see the turn for ~8 bb.

TURN: [ As Ks 6h ] [ Ts ] – 3 spades.

I bet. MP and LMP call. Three see the river for ~11 bb.

RIVER: [ As Ks 6h Ts ] [ 3d ] – 3 spades.

Your move. Any comments appreciated.

TC,
pf

BaronVonCP
01-24-2004, 01:30 AM
I don't see much reason not to bet this river, and call a raise.

i may be wrong.

JohnShaft
01-24-2004, 01:32 AM
Bet the River. There's *oodles* of worse hands that will call you.

OK, so the way you're posting this I'm guessing you got raised on the River by the slowplayed flush?
It doesn't matter. I'm still betting the River here, like every time.

You'll win 2 bets here WAY more than you lose 2 bets to a slowplayed flush.
I don't think this one is even close Puffs.

JTG51
01-24-2004, 01:50 AM
Easy river bet. Most players would have raised the turn with a flush.

symphonic
01-24-2004, 01:59 AM
Bet the river, I wouldn't put the other two on anything more than paired Aces or Kings. But I could be wrong...

pufferfish
01-24-2004, 02:32 AM
Since there seems to be a consensus, here is what happened.

I checked the river (true to wimpy form), MP bet, LMP and I called.

My set was good against a pair of King’s up. MP made Kings and Tens on the turn and LMP made Kings and Threes on the river. They probably would have both called a river bet by me. Same difference though.

Umm, guess I wanted to try out the new posting suggestion.

During the hand I saw the turn and river backwards, kind of a dyslexia I guess. Was surprised when I saw the HH. Thought there was a three flush/3 straight on the river not the turn, so I kinda froze.

I didn’t know these players and was wondering about the value of checking in first position. If I’m beat I’m going to get raised and need to call, if not maybe the weakness I showed would induce a bet?

Any thoughts?

TC,
pf

JTG51
01-24-2004, 02:44 AM
In these games filled with calling stations you need to look for reasons to value bet more hands, not less. Checking this hand was just very, very weak.

JohnShaft
01-24-2004, 02:47 AM
I've really got to agree.

I was so suprised at how easy a bet it was I thought it must be one of those "I bet and he showed the slowplayed nuts" hands.
You got the 2 bets anyway, but imagine if it had been checked around? Ugh. That's like a good hours earn gone down the swanny.

We live and learn though.

pufferfish
01-24-2004, 02:55 AM
In these games filled with calling stations you need to look for reasons to value bet more hands, not less. Checking this hand was just very, very weak.

Sigh, agreed. I think you may have once said to me “close your eyes and bet”. I keep forgetting that. I could rant about down turns, weird tables at UB and Paradise, but the bottom line is I have no guts (or too much sometimes), very seldom the right amount.

I appreciate all of the replies.

TY,
pf

JohnShaft
01-24-2004, 02:58 AM
weird tables at UB and Paradise

UB *and* Paradise?
Don't you play at Party, Puffer?
I thought I was in the vast majority not choosing to play in "Party's great games".
Heck if you chuck in Stars you'll have the "Net's toughest games" Trifecta.

JTG51
01-24-2004, 03:00 AM
...down the swanny.

The swanny? I have no idea what you means, but I'm laughing at it anyway. I need a British to American slang dictionary!

JTG51
01-24-2004, 03:03 AM
I think you may have once said to me “close your eyes and bet”.

Yeah, I remember saying that.

If that doesn't work for you, think of Tommy Angelo's line (this is the second time I'm using this one this week, good thing I'm not paying royalties). Your job on the river is to give them the rope. What they do with it is their business.

JohnShaft
01-24-2004, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...down the swanny.

The swanny? I have no idea what you means, but I'm laughing at it anyway. I need a British to American slang dictionary!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah, I knew that one would get my American cousins right after I typed it.

Down the Swanny, meaning down the River. (i.e. Swanny River)

Pretty appropriate considering. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

pufferfish
01-24-2004, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
weird tables at UB and Paradise

UB *and* Paradise?
Don't you play at Party, Puffer?
I thought I was in the vast majority not choosing to play in "Party's great games".
Heck if you chuck in Stars you'll have the "Net's toughest games" Trifecta.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, this hand was played at Party. The three (only) other sites that I play on are UB, Paradise and, yep, PokerStars. I mostly play at UB and Paradise. Don’t know why since Party is a fest at times. Guess I like getting my teeth kicked in. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TC,
pf

JTG51
01-24-2004, 03:18 AM
I guarantee you won't hear John Madden say, "The Bears tossed that game right down the swanny when they went for it on 4th and 2 and didn't make it." /images/graemlins/smile.gif