PDA

View Full Version : River Checkraise

calvin
01-23-2004, 06:56 PM
Hello,

4/8 B&M game; haven't been at the table too long, but I do have some reads on the players involved in the hand in question. MP is a calling station--seems to call every hand he is in to the river, often mucking, and will always bet and raise anytime he has a strong hand. MP+1, or as I will call him tricky old guy TOG, has been playing a variety of hands--some questionable limps and raises pre flop, but seems to be relatively straightforward post flop. On to the action.

I am dealt QJo in the BB. UTG calls, UTG+3 calls, MP calls, TOG calls, folded to me and I check my option.

Flop comes: J T 7 rainbow.

I bet, folded to MP who calls, TOG calls. Three to the turn.

Turn: J T 7 Q completes the rainbow.

I bet, MP calls, TOG raises. I call, MP folds.

River: J T 7 Q 5. I check, TOG bets, I raise.

Results to follow in a separate post!

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

Calvin

calvin
01-23-2004, 07:00 PM
Hello,

TOG calls my river check raise. He turns over QTo and my hand is good.

When he raised the turn I put him on two pair, not the straight. I thought he was the type of player who would have raised preflop for a free turn card, or called the turn and raised the river if he had made his straight. When the river blanked off, I was certain he did not make a straight, and felt confident he would bet/call my checkraise if he did indeed have two pair/over pair/TP.

I considered three betting the turn, as I had no idea what MP was drawing to, most likely the straight, but thought he would call the two bets and I would still have a redraw to the FH and could fold to a bet from him on the river if a straight card hits.

Calvin

el_grande
01-23-2004, 07:42 PM
I would 3-bet the turn, unless you think TOG would have limped with AK, QQ, or JJ.

But I don't think there's anything wrong with the way you played any of it.