PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Flop calls...Too loose (5-10)?

10-09-2001, 10:15 PM
5-10 at the Taj. I have 5-7 of clubs on the button and call after 6 people limp. The BB raises, everyone calls. Flop comes K-3-4 raibow, 1 club. BB bets, 4 callers, I call. Turn is the miracle 6 of clubs. BB bets, everyone calls, I raise, he makes it 30, all fold, I make it 40, he glares and calls. River is a brick, he checks and calls before showing his KK and complaining about my preflop call for a half hour. I think for one bet on the button with that many limpers, it is playable and I played the hand well. Who is right? A similar situation occured when I limped after 5 limpers on the button with Q2suited and flopped two pair to win a monster pot against AQ. I heard it again. I think for one bet you can play more hands than people realize. What do you think?

Jeff

10-09-2001, 11:37 PM
75s is definitely worth calling for the bring-in on the button. From early or middle position, I definitely fold it. After the big blind raises and 6 other limpers call, you HAVE to call with those pot odds. If the pot was much smaller because there were fewer limpers and even fewer that called the raise, then folding becomes an option because the pot may be too small to chase.

By the way, did the 6c give you a straight flush draw or was the King the only club on the flop?

I fold Q2s everytime unless it's for a fractional bet in the small blind or a free play in the big blind. However, Qxs can be playable in the right kind of game from late position.

10-10-2001, 12:56 AM
There are A LOT worse hands than 75s you can play on the button with callers. There are not a lot of hands worse than Q2s however. I may be the loosest button player amoung the regular posters here.

Know that the opponent is not telling you what he thinks he's telling you how he feels. As a homework assignment please apply that last sentance to those situations; there is lots to be learned from this perspective.

Yes there are people who don't know that you win with good hands or good situations; they think only with good hands. They are also the kind of players that don't downgrade their "good" hands when in a terrible situation, and are perfectly willing to call YOUR UTG raise with KQo.

- Louie

10-10-2001, 01:00 AM
Jeff-

I would absolutely play 75s after 6 limpers. There'd also be times I might even raise with it! (The poor guy would be so full of tilt he wouldn't be able to see the flops after that /images/smile.gif )

Seriously, this is a good example of someone not seeing the forest through the trees. Had he been calm enough, he'd have realized you played it fine and he just got unlucky instead of blaming you. Guys like this are rarely top players...

10-10-2001, 09:39 PM
You played it correctly. Players who complain are almost certainly mediocre if not worse.

10-13-2001, 01:46 PM
I have mixed feelings about this hand. Since you are on the button, have you posted a button fee? If you have, of course you are going to stay in pre-flop. When he raises, I think it's okay to call. However, on the flop, you are looking at an inside straight. You only have 4 outs for the card you really need, a 6. At this point I think it's obvious that someone has at least a pair of Kings. I think the BB should have tried a check-raise here to knock some people out, but he didn't and that allowed you to see another card for one small bet. Remember this for when you are in the same situation.

The question to ask is, if the 6 doesn't hit on the turn, do you bet to see the river?

What do people think?