PDA

View Full Version : Captain Kangaroo Dies

ChipWrecked
01-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Bob Keeshan has died at 76. How can one measure the joy this man brought to children for years. The world is a less happy place today. Rest in Peace sir, your ping pong balls will always bounce in my heart.

It might be hard to get the word out, since his death came during the Bennifer breakup. Priorities, you know.

andyfox
01-23-2004, 04:09 PM
My childhood favorite. Mr. Green Jeans and the Dancing Bear. He was Mr.Rogers before Mr. Rogers.

John Feeney
01-23-2004, 04:18 PM
Yep, and Bunny Rabbit and Mr. Moose, and Tom Terrific, the magic slate (or whatever that board was called) and grandfather clock... The captain was the best.

scotnt73
01-23-2004, 04:25 PM
does any chanels ever play the old shows of his? havent seen it in years. I saw Bananna Split the other day while surfing at crazy hours. Man did that bring back some memories. My 10 year old daughter walked in while i was watching an old Grape Ape cartoon the other day. She sat with me on the couch for about 3 minutes then looked up at me and said "Dad im sorry but your cartoons sucked." I laughed long and hard over that one! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tuco
01-23-2004, 04:39 PM
I remember a Paul Harvey "rest of the story" about him. Something about him being a gutsy, decorated war veteran.

Anyone have any info?

Tuco.

ChipWrecked
01-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Copied from the New York Times' excellent obit:

In 1945, as he completed high school, he enlisted in the Marines, but the war ended before he could be sent into combat. It was just as well. "I was the least aggressive Marine in the history of the Marine Corps," Mr. Keeshan later told Lawrence Laurent of The Washington Post.

andyfox
01-23-2004, 06:05 PM
http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/k/keeshan.htm

Phat Mack
01-23-2004, 07:05 PM
Anyone have any info?

Not true, but Manfred the Wonder Dog was a scout dog with Carlson's Raiders...