PDA

View Full Version : Playing a vulnerable nuts in a loose game

Kenshin
01-23-2004, 02:25 PM
I am in an extremely loose 8 handed 10-20 game at pacific. I have a solid player to my immediate left and a total maniac with only 20 dollars remaining two positions off. In this hand I am dealt K10o in the cutoff. UTG+1 Calls and I weakly limp in. Both the button and the small blind decides to play as well, making it 5 of us to the flop.

The flop comes a beautiful A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. At this point, I intend to play the hand passively on the flop. Checked to me and I bet. The button, and the blinds call. UTG raises. does anyone smooth call with the two flush on the board? In an attempt to both charge the flush draws and possibly eliminate them entirely, I reraise. The button mucks, the small blind calls and the big blind calls all-in. UTG then caps. Everyone calls. What do you put my opponents on here?

The turn is the dreaded 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. At this point, I cowardly slow down. I assume non-aggressive play here is a major mistake. Am I correct? Checked to UTG, who bets. Both the hero and the small blinds call. River is a blank. UTG bets, I call, sb folds. Please brutally critique my play. In a normal tight game, I would raise both the turn and the river; however, I have difficulty reading hands in loose games and therefore cannot discount the flush.
Results in white:
<font color="white"> I of course take the pot down. Villian reveals AQ for the flopped two pair </font>

sweetzer
01-23-2004, 02:47 PM
Maybe we belong to the same school of cowards, but I agree with your everymove. Likely utg would have raised preflop if he held AA, QQ, JJ, or AQ so chances are he didn't flop a set or top two. He then caps the flop when your 3 bet easily could be KT. He could have AJ or QJ, but the turn 3 flush didn't stop him. The flush A is on the board so he didn't limp in with Axs, but a KJ or KT flush is very likely. Calling the turn and river seems correct.

Manzanita
01-23-2004, 03:16 PM
Kenshin,

I'll make a few comments on this hand.

Preflop I like your limp. KTo is not much of a hand but given your position and the fact that the game is loose I would play it.

Note that while the flop is very good for you it is also a dangerous one. In addition to the diamond draw you've got 3 big cards on board and it probably helped a lot of your opponents' hands. Of course you bet when it is checked to you. When everyone calls and UTG raises I would slow down and just call the raise. There are numerous reasons for doing so. Among them are that there are a lot of turn cards that could come (like another diamond or if the board pairs) that you won't like and may make you regret having pumped up the pot on the flop. Another reason is that the hands that threaten you (2-pair or flush draws) won't fold when you raise; given that the game is loose you want inferior hands to hang in there so don't raise and confront them with having to call a double bet. Finally, if the turn brings a good card for you, you can probably get a raise in given your position.

What do you put my opponents on here?
I put UTG on 2-pair and the SB on a non-nut diamond draw.

When the flush draw gets there on the turn you seem to believe that just calling is poor play. IMHO raising here would be foolish. I would be worried that the SB just hit his hand and is planning to check-raise. Also there are lots of cards that could come on the river that will put you in serious trouble.

Since you called the turn your river call is routine.

-- Manzanita

SpaceAce
01-24-2004, 05:50 AM
I would bet but not raise. If the action is to me with no bet, I put one in. If it's bet before it gets to me, I call. You might be beaten already but if you check it around and the river pairs or brings another diamond, you're really in trouble. No free cards but no foolish raises, either.

SpaceAce