PDA

View Full Version : 3/6 Paired Board

el_grande
01-23-2004, 02:14 PM
3/6 B&M. Mostly loose-passive, but half of the players at this 8-handed table are solid. The main villian here is the button, who has been playing tight since he sat down, which is about an hour.

Hero is in EMP with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. 5 players to the flop in an unraised pot.

Flop: J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

checked to me, I bet, 2 callers.

Turn: J /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet, button raises, others fold, I call.

River: 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check, button bets.

Your action?

Results in white: <font color="white"> I folded here and the button turned over A7o. Bad fold, but it's a rare occurance that someone raises the turn into multiple players and doesn't have my hand beat. But I admit, I was thinking more about my missed flush than the possibility I still had the best hand. </font>

mmanne
01-23-2004, 02:40 PM
I think you were fine to fold this one, I can't see many hands that you beat.

After reading the results, I'd say you should remember to call this guy down from now on. But I still like your play

biggambler
01-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Why bet the turn in a 4 way pot? You still have 4 spades and second pair. If you can see the river cheaply, do so.

el_grande
01-23-2004, 07:24 PM
Semi-bluff.

My table image was pretty tight/solid. Folding preflop a lot and the hands people saw me turn over at the river were nut flushes and boats. I figured a turn bet here on a paired board might win me the pot, and if not I may still get a nut flush on the river.

Ed Miller
01-23-2004, 09:47 PM
I disagree completely. I would assume that I had the best hand given the action so far. You have to bet your hands in these loose and passive games.

Ed Miller
01-23-2004, 09:50 PM
Ok guys. Before you just believe people when they raise, think about how they played the hand so far.

He limped on the button... what does that say about his hand.

He called a flop bet, not raised. Does he have a jack? Would he raise if he had a jack?

He raised you on the turn when the top card paired. Why would he just call on the flop with a jack, but then raise on the turn?

He is very likely to be taking a shot at you. People LOVE to take shots when the board pairs... especially when the top card pairs. The only hand that makes any sense for him to have that beats you is 66, 88, or maybe J8! All of those hands are unlikely.

Think before you fold.

Ed Miller
01-23-2004, 09:51 PM
Semi-bluff.

It's not a semi-bluff when you probably have the best hand.

el_grande
01-23-2004, 10:03 PM
First of all, I agree that I didn't think before I folded. As I mentioned, I was thinking more about my busted flush. That was a mistake.

But that doesn't mean he couldn't have had a jack! There are a lot of hands he could have had. Limping on the button he could have had any suited jack, JT, or QJ. That would be pretty common in a loose-passive game.

I don't think he necessarily would have raised the flop if he had a jack. This wasn't an aggressive game.

Ed Miller
01-23-2004, 10:21 PM
I'm not saying he COULDN'T have a jack. I'm saying that if he had a jack, he may have raised the flop. The fact that he didn't means that a jack is less likely. While certainly not impossible, it's a little strange that he would just call on the flop with a weak jack, but then raise when the board pairs.

Whenever the total play of the hand doesn't quite add up, it's time to call. It's one bet to me on the river, and I have a pair, I call.

el_grande
01-23-2004, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
While certainly not impossible, it's a little strange that he would just call on the flop with a weak jack, but then raise when the board pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see this all the time in the 3/6 B&amp;M games I play. PASSIVE. People don't know about "raising the flop to see where you are".

[ QUOTE ]

Whenever the total play of the hand doesn't quite add up, it's time to call. It's one bet to me on the river, and I have a pair, I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. I learned that lesson. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ed Miller
01-23-2004, 10:33 PM
People don't know about "raising the flop to see where you are".

This is a vastly overrated concept.