PDA

View Full Version : Interesting play... 3/6 hand

10-09-2001, 02:25 AM
Here's a play I made that I would be interested in what you guys thought about it. It's a typical loose PASSIVE 3/6 game w/ no players standing out. I'm on the button and get dealt K,K (suits of no importance). MP, LP limps, I raise, Both blinds come along and all limpers call.

FLOP- J,10,6 (rainbow)

Checked to me and I bet. SB calls as does LP.

Turn- Q complete rainbow

EP checks, now LP bets into me. I am really unsure of what to put him on, he could have anything from a straight to a pair of queens... So I decide to raise cause I have 4 outs to the nuts and I would like to get SB out cause he could have an A or K and I would like to maximize my chances of a K hitting good or if an A hits not having to split the pot. So that gives me another two outs. Plus I have 4 outs to 9's that give me a solid straight that I think is good. Giving me a total of 10 outs. Plus he may fold putting me on A,K. And he will most likely check the river to me and I can check behind him if I don't hit something (like I said passive table). So what do you all think about this play??? Good, bad, routine, indifferent? Results are posted below.

SS

10-09-2001, 02:27 AM
Well SB folded as hoped, and LP called. River was a nine giving me the straight. LP checked, I bet, and he called. LP had a set of sixes and my straight took down the pot. So what do you all think?

SS

10-09-2001, 02:57 AM
Not only do you have alot of outs, you very possibly still have the best hand. In LL games, a straight would check-raise rather than bet into you on the turn nearly 80% of the time in my experience. I read the bet into me as a test to see if I have AK by most likely 2 pair, and possibly 1 pair, open ended.

I raise for all of your reasons, in addition to feeling confident I still have the best hand. The river card and the effect it has on my opponent dictates my play, but assuming the river rags off, my decision to value bet or check it down depends on the opponents reaction. If only called on the turn, I probabaly value bet the river, but it is close.

Off to read results.

Clark

10-09-2001, 03:06 AM
I agree with Clarkmeister by re-raising the turn, just to show the player that you mean business and it may make him "second guess" his hand against yours. Especially with an over pair, you should always feel confident and try and strong arm the other players in the game since your hand isn't technically a hand you want alot of players on. Strong arm the table, and feel confident, and that strategy will work more than not.

JR

10-09-2001, 12:43 PM
I like this play and use it a lot. You know you are going to call this guy out anyways, so I would often raise the turn here and check or bet the river depending on what the river was and what my impression of LP was. By raising, you keep the lead and also keep your options open should your straight hit the river or something.

The other good thing about this raise is that you can blow the other caller off the pot by making him call twelve cold. So if he had a gutshot with a pair or something he would probably let it go(but who knows -- it's 3/6 after all /images/smile.gif . I would put LP on most likely two pair, something like Q-T or Q-J and even if you're behind, you have a lot of outs to hit on the river.

10-09-2001, 02:18 PM
He can also have 2-pair giving you 6 more outs. This looks like a very reasonable raise for the reasons you gave considering you clearly want the SB to fold in case you DO have the best hand.

The only negative part of this raise is associated with the fact that the board is particularly scary already and someone with a stiff Q SHOULD be particularly worried that you have a bigger pair by now, and if not surely has a straight draw and will call.

- Louie