PDA

View Full Version : QJs in MP, popped by the button.

BigEndian
01-23-2004, 10:00 AM
This was my 3rd hand at this table and went a long way toward players giving me a lot of action. Does anyone not make this flop call?

Some people might also question the turn bet. I don't think it's likely I'll get him to lay down what he has (unless he's a wild raiser). But I enjoy poking hornets nests and I wanted to see how he felt about his hand. I like to bet out when I pick up outs (be sure to forget that when the tourney comes around).

Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
BigEndian has Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is MP2

EP2 limps, BigEndian limps, Button raises, SB folds, BB calls, EP2 calls, BigEndian calls

Flop(8 1/2 SB): A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB checks, EP2 checks, BigEndian checks, Button bets, BB folds, EP2 calls, BigEndian calls

Turn(5 3/4 BB): 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif

EP2 checks, BigEndian bets, Button raises, EP2 folds, BigEndian calls

River(9 3/4 BB): 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif

BigEndian bets, Button calls

Thoughts?

- Jim

chesspain
01-23-2004, 10:33 AM
BigEndian,

I think that the flop checkcall is fine. You're getting 10:1 to close the action with a gutshot and a runner-runner flush.

I don't like the turn bet. Why allow the button to raise and knock out EP2? Since by the time the flop action is completed it should be obvious that the button is undoubtedly ahead of you, most likely with AA, Ax, KK or QQ, there are no overcard outs to clean up, meaning you will need to hit your flush or gutshot to win. Consequently, it makes no sense to put in two or three bets with an unmade hand and possibly allow the button to knock someone out who is no threat to you, since EP2 will not fold any hand (e.g. his own flush draw) for two bets that will beat you on the river if the two of you improve from the same card.

By not betting the turn, you likely stand to win the same by risking much less.

BigEndian
01-23-2004, 11:18 AM
You're probably right about the turn bet not being best. But here are some thoughts on it.

When I made the turn bet he wasn't undoubtably ahead of me. There are plenty of hands people will raise on the button with limpers - not just AK, AA, KK, QQ, JJ etc. Large suited connectors and one-gappers, middle pairs and up for instance. After he raised me on the turn, then I know I'm behind in a big way.

I didn't really care if the third player came along or not. By betting out and getting the third player to fold, I also increase the chances of my hand being good if I river a Q or J (if it hadn't been raised). Just calling along doesn't ensure the third player is going to call with me, he could be playing thinner than I was on the flop.

Betting out on the turn also disguises my hand a little bit, though this player was either good enough to know something was up or too meek to re-pop it when I bet into him again on the river.

- Jim

GuyOnTilt
01-23-2004, 11:26 AM
There's really not much of a question on your flop call. I don't think anyone could really argue for a fold there.

On the turn bet, I agree with chesspain.

GoT