PDA

View Full Version : Monster AA hand... 3/6

10-07-2001, 10:31 PM
I've been a long time reader, but I haven't posted too often on the board. Thought I might as well start, and this seams like as good a hand as any...

A little background on the table.

I'm in the 8 seat(9 person tables), as the small blind. The table is a normal 3/6 table at Canterbury, very weak. The 3 seat is probably the drunkest man I have ever played with, keeps grabbing more money out of his wallet, and apparently hates it. It is uncommon for this table to see a flop WITHOUT at least 4 going 4 bets. The 4 seat is very loose passive. Will call any bet with any cards. The only players I have any amount of respect for is the 9 and 7 seats. The 7 seat is a tight aggressive player that also deals there, and the 9 seat is also fairly tight, but not as aggressive.

The 1 seat calls and it's folded to the 3 seat(drunk guy) who, as expected, makes it 6 bucks. The 4, 5 and 6 seats all call. The button makes it 3 bets, I immediately put him on a large pocket pair, as this will almost guarantee a cap as the drunk guy will 4 bet allowing the button to cap. I look down to see AdAc. Since I'm 95% sure it will get raised by the drunk, I smooth call. As expected the drunk 4 bets and the button caps. All others call all bets. SEVEN PLAYERS IN A CAPPED POT.

At first I was very happy, because the pot was ENORMOUS. However, I then realized, I'm out of position and am a dog to 6 other players with aces. Oh well, let's see what happens...

Flop: 2d 9s 2c

What a dream...

No one would be bad enough to call with a deuce. At best they have A2 suited, although since the average pot was around 70 bucks, you almost get odds to play with any hand. Hopefully the others didn't know this.

It's checked to the drunk who bets. The 4 seat folds which makes me breath a small sigh of relief considering he could've been one to call with a deuce. All others call to the button who raises. I call, the 1 seat calls, the drunk 3 bets(he hasn't looked at his cards yet, by the way), and to my surprise the button just calls. I call as does the 1 seat.

Turn: 10h completing the rainbow.

Checked to the drunk who bets. The 5 and 6 seats both fold, the button calls, and I raise. The 1 seat now calls 2 cold, the drunk calls as does the 7 seat.

River: 5s

Final board: 2d 9s 2c 10h 5s

I bet out, and get called by the drunk and the button who says "Show me the deuce." I flip over my aces, the dunk shows King high and the button mucks. And I rake in the largest pot of all time. Needless to say, although I had the best hand, I got lucky vs. in a 7 person pot.

Was there any way to get anymore bets out of any other players? I don't want to be greedy, but, heh, if I could've gotten more, I wouldn't have minded it!

Thanks,

Rat

10-08-2001, 01:00 AM
7 players in a capped pot is MUCH more profitable than one player calling you heads up. Even if you win only 40% of the time (3:2) you are still getting 7:1 for your money, and lots of it. Yes, be happy.

Well played before the flop, hehehe.

"No one would be bad enough to call with a deuce. At best they have A2 suited, although since the average pot was around 70 bucks, you almost get odds to play with any hand. Hopefully the others didn't know this." Whhhoooooooaaaaaa Neeeeelly. You struck out COMPLETELY with this paragraph. Yes, loose players play hands containing deuces. They don't need A2. Just because the final pot is big DOESN'T mean any hand is playable. And the other players DO "know" this although it isn't true. Lets add "I don't want to be greedy" to round out THIS paragraph. Greedy is good. In poker.

There was not much more to be made with this hand. But you have successfully disguised your AA so what do you suppose the opponents would put you on if you had BET the flop? Its reasonably likely that you could have gotton 4-bets in on the flop (drunk raises, big pair raises, drunk reraises) and STILL check-raised the turn.

- Louie