PDA

View Full Version : Monster Bad Beat

10-07-2001, 02:21 AM
Don't worry. They'll be no whining from me about this bad beat I took today. But I thought the hand was so outrageous that it should be shared.

I'm playing 4-8 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas and the game is incredibly loose. On average, 7 players are seeing the flop (And I'm folding pre-flop a lot!).

I'm on the button and have KdKh. 6 players in front of me call for the bring-in. I raise and, as expected, everbody except one of the blinds calls the raise. 8 players see the flop and there is $48 in the pot (rake not calculated).

I know there are Aces out there so I'm desperately hoping not to see an Ace high flop. The possibility of being out drawn is very high at this table.

The flop is: Ks,7c,4h

The flops seems too perfect to be true. The only problem I can see is that I don't think anybody else hit this flop. At least I made the pot big pre-flop.

It gets checked to me and I bet. An early position player (EP) calls, an MP calls, and a LP calls. The pot is $64

The turn is: Ks,7c,4h,4c

Kings-full! I lost with Kings-full once in stud but I've never lost with such a powerful hand in Hold'em before.

It gets checked to me and I bet. The EP check-raises me. Whoo-hoo! The MP folds (he said afterwards he had QQ). The LP calls. I re-raise. The EP seems to realize what I've got and calls and so does the LP. The pot is $136 (that's 17 big bets)

The river is: Ks,7c,4h,4c,4d

I don't like that river card and neither does the EP. The EP checks and (You already guessed, didn't you?) the LP bets. I know what he's got but call anyway since there's a huge pile of chips in the middle of the table. The EP calls too.

The LP turns over the 9s4s and takes the pot. The EP showed me 77. As a courtesy, I show him my KK.

All I could do was smile and shake my head.

9s4s....at least they were suited!

10-07-2001, 04:46 AM
When you saw EP's hand, did you have to take a walk to avoid chastising him for allowing both of you to get beat? With a huge pot like that already, he has no business smoothcalling you on the flop. His goal should be to win it there if you missed, or to get it heads up the times you have AK or AA. Fine play on your part, terrible play on his.

10-07-2001, 06:23 AM
I'm surprised by how easily I was able to brush off the lost pot and just keep playing. Lately, I've been getting my AAs and KKs cracked but it's not putting me even slightly on tilt. Last week, I lost a 4/8 pot which was capped pre-flop when I had AA. The other raiser had AQs and caught two running cards to make a straight. That was another $120-$150 lost by lucky turn and river cards. But these things just don't seem to be getting to me.

On the flop, the EP said something like "Let's see what he's got" when he checked to me. At that time, I wondered if he had the case King or some other playable hand. Apparently, he was looking to trap me for as many bets as he could squeeze out of me. When I 3-bet the turn, he realized it backfired.

I don't think any bets or raises would have gotten the LP out of the pot. He was an extremely loose caller. After the hand, the LP said he put me on Kings full and called anyway despite his 44 to 1 shot on the river. Hell, the LP even said he thought the EP had the case 4 and still he called. The only way the LP was going to get out of the pot was if someone introduced him to one of the cocktail waitresses.

10-07-2001, 04:48 PM
I'd get out of the pot too with the outfits they wear at Mandalay. ;-)

10-07-2001, 10:18 PM
First, thanks for letting me know where to play in LV as you answered my post early last week. Just came back from LV and played at Mandalay too. This was the first time I played 1-2 blind with half-kill and high hand prizes. Let me share with you a similar bad beat, not to cry but maybe share a laugh.

Three nights ago, dealer was Ed, Sergio, (if you're a regular at Mandalay, I'm sure you know him) and a real Asian maniac regular (AMR) who raises almost every pot (I'm quite sure you know him too) were on the table. Got dealt KK at late position. EP bets, S calls, AMR raises, everybody folded to me. I re-raised, EP and S folds, AMR calls, head up.

Flopped rags, AMR checks, I bet, AMR calls.

Turn 2, AMR checks, I bet, he calls.

River 3, AMR bets, I looked at him and he was busy checking the racing results. I thought he had pocket 3s but I wanted to see as he had called any pair before. He showed 2-3 offsuit!! I got up and went to the bathroom.

I thought I'd share this with you.

By the way I had profitable sessions at Mandalay and Bellagio too. Thanks for the advice. I'm back in NJ and will be playing my usual regulars. Sorry, never had the chance to meet you as we could have been there on the same nights. I was wearing a FDNY hat.

10-08-2001, 02:08 AM
I was looking for that hat even today but never saw it.

10-09-2001, 01:13 AM
That's a bad beat. I have one of my own. Playing $4-8 last night, I have JJ, I call pre-flop. Flop comes J44. Action player is in SB. I call as does one other. Turn is a rag, action player bets again. He's been making draws for over half an hour. I was planning on raising him on the river, but when the 4 came, I knew he had quads. A one outer after I flopped the best full house.

10-14-2001, 08:43 PM
There is nothing original about my post, we've all heard what I'm about to say before, but I'm going to say it anyway.

All who suffer similar (horrible) misfortune would do well to handle it in the way you did. While it is very bad to lose a hand this way, it is even worse to lose a sap like this from the table because you had to tell the jerk what a jerk he really is...so he walks away. Worse still, if you tell him how bad his play was, he may decide to stay and play well... but only against YOU.

This was a fine example of the restraint I wish more people could show to the loose ones...sorry this one fell down the way it did.