PDA

View Full Version : Kill Pot Flopped Nuts

bomblade
01-23-2004, 02:23 AM
20/40 kill pot hand (30/60 now)-loose aggressive game.
I have J9o cutoff. I played it for reasons I can not explain.
The SB has the kill. 1 EP, 2 MP limpers, I limp, SB raises, limpers call. (All players are average or below, loose and faily weak) 6 handed...360 in the pot
FLOP QT8...QT hearts
SB bets, EP raises, both MP call. I three bet. All call.
Turn Black 3. (QT83-two hearts)
Checked to me, I bet. All call but the SB.
River 9 diamond. (QT983-no flush)
EP checks, MP bets, other MP calls...I raise it 35 more all-in, and everyone calls.
3 way chopped pot.
I post this hand because it was discussed at the table for a little while. The guy to my right told me he didn't understand why I didn't wait till the turn to raise and try to knock someone out. I felt my decision on the flop was pretty simple.
Any thoughts?
3 way chopped pot.

Garland
01-23-2004, 03:13 AM
There's a lot of interest in this pot with lots of hands. In addition there are two hearts on the flop. Your hand is not safe! Possible flush draw, higher straight draws, two pair, even a set is possible. You must play the nuts out of it while you have the nuts! No one is going away on the flop with the possible hands I mentioned above.

Garland

DocHollyday
01-23-2004, 04:17 AM
You played it allright (apart from limping with such a hand). It's necessary that you charge the most for possible drawouts, while you hold the nuts. Your hand is vulnerable, so you got to protect it.

nykenny
01-23-2004, 12:56 PM
raise the flop. or it sometimes gets too late on turn when a 3rd heart shows up and you will not want to raise. put the money in when you are ahead. played fine.

kenny

Manzanita
01-23-2004, 02:31 PM
Bomblade,

I'll dissent from the others as I think that smooth-calling the flop is the best play. This doesn't look too suspicious given the bloated pot and your position.

The main reason for just calling is that your 3-bet on the flop is unlikely to knock out any hands that you want out. The SB raised preflop and then bet into 5 players so he must have some kind of hand. The other 3 opponents are already in for 2 bets and will almost surely call one more.

With a flush draw on the flop and 4 players already in the pot it is likely that at least one opponent is drawing. You may have to fold on the turn if a heart comes and there is much action in front of you (although you don't specify I'm assuming that you don't have a heart), which will make you glad that you saved that flop bet. Wait until the turn and force opponents on a flush draw to pay dearly to continue.

Finally, you have position on the field and are in perfect position to get in a raise on the turn if you choose to do so.

-- Manzanita