PDA

View Full Version : Poker Stars Second set of tables (recap et al)

VinnyTheFish
01-23-2004, 12:57 AM
Poker Stars Second set of tables (recap et al)
No limit Hold’em $10 + 1
1-22-04 21:31 EST to 23:14 EST

1. KURN ($72)
2. HelmetSky ($54)
3. Gwendoline ($36)
4. Jedi333 ($18)
5. d9090
6. VinnyTheFish
7. Zorac
8. AcesOver8s
9. StageMusic
10. JellybeanDC
11. Walleye675
12. eMarkM
13. ClaudioReyna
14. cldealer53
15. NapaWino
16. TD777
17. DaPimp
18. JPK631

Apologies in advance to other table.

In the words of Jedi (What a tournament!)

And yes it was. IT started out tighter than most, but opened up and was played in a very solid manner.

Play opened up with HelmetSky walking to an early lead and holding on to many of his chips. A few player dodged all in outs and scratched as long as they could. 2+2 favorites such as eMarkM, Stagemusic and Kurn were short stacked early.

But then your’s truly took a nice chip lead at the $100/200 level as my pocket Jacks held off SatgeMusic [8s8d] and (the chip leader) Helmutsky [k /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif]. flop [6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] for T$5130. Stage exited in 9th shortly after.

Kurn (AQo)was holding on, but never in doubt as he took a nice chunk (T$1970) from the Jedi (KQo). (Q 3 8 8 7).

HelmutSky charged to the top (relinquishing my last chip lead of the night) as his QQ held strong knocked of Acesover8’s (Big Slick /images/graemlins/spade.gif). [J 4 J 6 T]. Rocking in T$8520. At this point Vinny was in #2 with a bout 4600, and 2+2 redundunt winner D9090 was #3 with about 4000.

D9090 was not about to bow out and took Zorac (friend of Space Ghost) down as the [Q /images/graemlins/club.gif - T /images/graemlins/club.gif] rocked [44] with the commun being [K T J 3 4],

Jedi then took a good handful of chips away from Helmutsky as [Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif] faced A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif --- T7260 to be exact. But our young Jedi was not done by any means … ending Zorac’s night with two pair (Q2’s) knocking off his paired Queen.

Helmutsky (again) continued to cripple players (yet not enough this time). The Helmet took home 9000+from Kurn as he flushed on the river with Q9, overtaking Kurn’s Ako. Helmet did not need the flush since he already had the set of 9’s,

As the players dropped, the final 4 were set. Jedi was the short stack with about T2600, Helmut about T7700, Kurn 7800 & Gwen with about T8600+.

Ironically Kurn set Jedi home with a King high – 8 kicker. I kid u not! This put Kurn over 12K and in a commanding lead.

Gwen was crippled with her 2pr. AQ’s bowing to Helmet’s set of 2’s made on the turn. This left Qwen with under 1000.

I just missed the final hand, but as always, had a greattime!!

Faithfully summitted:
VinnyTheFish … “I just wanna make a buck!”

MicroBob
01-23-2004, 01:23 AM
"D9090 was not about to bow out and took Zorac (friend of Space Ghost) down as the [Q - T ] rocked [44] with the commun being [K T J 3 4],"

holy crap!!! you mean i actually WON the hand??

recount!!
do-over!!
hooray for my big win.
just kidding. nice summary vinnie...except, that 4 you put on the board was only in my dreams....not in reality.

VinnyTheFish
01-23-2004, 01:33 AM
good point! It was a 5.

PrayingMantis
01-23-2004, 01:34 AM
Great post, Vinny. Well, as HelmetSky, I found some new ways of spelling it... /images/graemlins/smile.gif. It's just Helmet & Sky, although many people at the tables call me Helmut too... I liked Helmutsky the best, it's like a polish noble name or something.

It was a great tourney indeed. I caught some good hands early on, to build a massive stack, but when we went to the final table, I found Kurn at my left. He was about 1/6 my stack at the time, but very aggressive. I had to adjust to his game, and it took me quite a while. But he really played great. There's a lot to learn from his small-stack game, mid-stack game, and big stack (at the end).

When it was only the two of us, blinds were already huge (400/800). He was ahead from the begining, and we played for a while without seeing any flops. My stack got a little short after maybe 18 hands, and the last hand went this way:

Kurn T19920
Me T7080

Blinds 400/800, ante 50. (next hand, 600/1200 I think).

I have A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif on the BB, Kurn raises to 3200, I raise all-in and he calls. Kurn shows 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif
(Well, at least mine is soooted!)

Board: J-2-K-T-5

Another 2+2 SNG is over. Couldn't ask for a better one...

(BTW, I knew someday I'll face Kurn Heads-up. It happaned sooner than I thought... /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

PrayingMantis

jedi
01-23-2004, 02:41 AM
There was one hell of a hand where Kurn tried an all-in steal (as a short stack) and had 8-5. Gwen called and had a couple of overcards, but Kurn wound up hitting a straight. Nice.

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-23-2004, 09:37 AM
Not only was I called when I was stealing with a trash hand, but Gwen had (I think) K8s, so I was dominated as well.

There was one stretch at the final table where about 5 straight all-ins were won by the dominated hand: AQ beat AK, Q2 beat Q4, A5o beat A6s, QJ beat AQ, and of course my 85o beating K8s.

A very strange game, indeed.

Stagemusic
01-23-2004, 09:45 AM
It was a great game and alot of fun. I must have looked like a really yummy worm dangling there to Vinny as he put me down in chips no less than 3 times before finally putting me out with his JJ. The only one besides the last one that I really remember was my AQ going in against his AK and the better hand holding up as the flop gave us both a pair of Aces and no other help for me coming. A great time and some really fine play.

t_perkin
01-23-2004, 10:13 AM
HelmutSky = Helmuth-Sklansky

so these are your poker gods eh? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

tim

eMarkM
01-23-2004, 11:00 AM
Another nice event, another great turnout. Those tables filled in a matter of seconds. Not even sure if we had any interlopers this time. I was disappointed in how I played, letting Stagemusic back in when I overplayed 99 vs his QQ, leaving me short. Then moving in when short with KQs and getting called by AK.

After that one, I played in a $30 with William (who missed the 2+2 event because they filled up too fast) and he was on my immediate left. Ended up giving him my chips midway through when I was short and went allin on KJs and he called and had me dominated with AJ. Gotta stop moving in with K high /images/graemlins/blush.gif

After that I played with CrisBrown in another $30 and we ended up HU. 4 handed she had about 15K and the rest of us had 3K and she relentlessly pounded us. I managed to survive for HU and I managed to dent her big lead, but was ultimately unable to overcome it. On a Q high all heart flop, I raised her all in with a naked Ah and she made a good call with JJ and it held.

DrPhysic
01-23-2004, 11:30 AM
I do not have you on the mailing list for SNG announcements. Send me a pm please. It would help a lot if you would include your name on Stars.

Doc

CrisBrown
01-23-2004, 11:32 AM
Hi Mark,

[ QUOTE ]
After that I played with CrisBrown in another $30 and we ended up HU. 4 handed she had about 15K and the rest of us had 3K and she relentlessly pounded us.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're going to ruin my reputation as a sweet, kindly, old grandmother....

Truthfully, what happened was that the deck caught fire for me once it got to six players left. Equally truthfully, it is a measure of how I'm feeling of late that, after I won, my only thought was: "oh well, better than losing, I guess."

So I think I'm going to take some time away from the game and -- sadly -- also away from the forums here, not because I'm upset with anyone (I'm not!) but simply because I feel so bad that I need to just focus on my writing, get these **** books done, and see if I can find an emotional center again.

It was good to play with you, Mark, and the rest of the 2+2ers also, and I will be back as soon as I can.

Cris

PrayingMantis
01-23-2004, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
HelmutSky = Helmuth-Sklansky

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't think about it... (at least not conciousely /images/graemlins/grin.gif). It's a nice combination: Helmuth's "soul reading" ablity, plus Sklansky's theoretic geniuos... /images/graemlins/wink.gif. Combined, of course with MY infinite bankroll...

Anyway, I have a hand from yesterday's SNG, which I would like some opinion on.

Final table, 6 are left, blinds 300/600, ante 50. I'm second with T6930, after Jedi's T7990.

I'm holding K /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the SB.

This is the stage where the short stacks are going all-in on every bit of hand they have, so it seems.

Now Vinny is going in from UTG for T1680, d9090 folds, Gwendoline calls T1300 and is all-in too, Jedi folds, it's me now. What would you do? call? fold? raise? Kurn on the BB is still to act behind me, he's w/T5340 after posting, and pretty healthy now, after being very very aggressive for a while.

Well?

(BTW, I think there should be a forum dedicated only to 2+2 SNG's, cause it's a whole different game, you know.)

PrayingMantis

DougBrennan
01-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Since I folded I can honestly say I don't remember what happened in this hand, but looking at your situation I'd have to give it a pass. Vinny could easily be on a total steal and have a worse hand, but with Gwendoline's call all-in I have to believe she's got something she thinks can win a hand.

Combine with Kurn still to act, and I'd be laying this one down. Please post the outcome, my curiosity is aroused.

Another fabulous 2+2 event, and as someone said during this tournament, that was one tooouuuugh final table. If we can play that well against the Zoo/SS on Feb. 5, we should handily win the team competition.

d9090=Doug=dbrennan

thomastem
01-23-2004, 12:17 PM
I'd call.

VinnyTheFish
01-23-2004, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Final table, 6 are left, blinds 300/600, ante 50. I'm second with T6930, after Jedi's T7990. I'm holding K /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the SB.This is the stage where the short stacks are going all-in on every bit of hand they have, so it seems. Now Vinny is going in from UTG for T1680, d9090 folds, Gwendoline calls T1300 and is all-in too, Jedi folds, it's me now. What would you do? call? fold? raise? Kurn on the BB is still to act behind me, he's w/T5340 after posting, and pretty healthy now, after being very very aggressive for a while.

Well?

[/ QUOTE ]

That killed me. I really was not getting and hands. But ironically, I was only hitting level 1's and 2's when I was under the gun. (until the last one).

I believe I went all in 3 times in a row UTG, as my stack dwindled down to what felt like nothing.

You made a good call. The 1st two times that I went all in UTG, everyone folded, so I figured I'd go to the well one more time.

VinnyTheFish
01-23-2004, 12:33 PM
I really felt StageMusic was about to punch me in the teeth! For some reason, I kept the cards vs. him and I was very lucky when J's help up.

I was definately not targeting you! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Stagemusic
01-23-2004, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really felt StageMusic was about to punch me in the teeth! For some reason, I kept the cards vs. him and I was very lucky when J's help up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm....a virtual punch? /images/graemlins/grin.gif Not at all. Just seemed that the cards were hitting us at the same time but yours were always just a little better...you played well. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

jedi
01-23-2004, 12:56 PM
Okay, so I need your help...

I was lucky enough to be a large stack when it got down to 7-6-5 people at the first table. I was trying lots of raises, in an attempt to steal pots. Problems came when I tried raising with hands like AQ and AJ or KQ, and people would re-raise me. At this point, I'm not sure what to do.

Another thing I realize I needed to do was to throttle back when we got to be 9-handed again. I tried bullying with QJ in late position with a raise of 400. Kurn had 800 or so left and moved in. There was only 400 left to call, so I called and was facing AJ or AQ. Needless to say, Kurn won. I'm pretty sure I should have called the remaining 400, since I was either the chip leader or 2nd largest stack at the time, but was the steal-raise a bad idea to begin with when 9 players are at the table?

VinnyTheFish
01-23-2004, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(BTW, I think there should be a forum dedicated only to 2+2 SNG's, cause it's a whole different game, you know.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I could not agree more. I love this Thursday night deal. I refer to it as "weekly card game." It is such a relief to go into a tourn. where I know that I am dealing with "classy" people. The level of play is well above average and every hand is a challange. (* you know what I mean! *)

But at least I know I have to come to play. I know that moving all in UTG will be respected, or if I go all in with KK, I know someone calling actually has a legit starting hand.

Yesterday, I was booted in a $10 SNG. I hit KK in last position. The BB (chip leader by 75 more than me) called my T4000+. He called with J7o. I was in tears laughing as the flop hit J-7-x followed by x - 7 on the river.

I asked the guy, "NH ... but how could you call there with J7?" He replied, "I know you are made, but I just got lucky!" My response: "I am not mad at all, I just cannot imaging calling a 4000 bet with J7o?"

He finishes with: "I just grabbled my balls and pushed my chips in!"

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Oh well!

VinnyTheFish
01-23-2004, 12:58 PM
The next two Thursdays are the Zoo OH8 and the SS/Zoo rematch?

Can we get together on Tuesday or Wed??

geez, I like u guys! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

PrayingMantis
01-24-2004, 04:06 AM
I called. My thinking was that even if I'm losing to Gwendoline's better hand (though it's possible she's only a coin-flip with me), I'm probably ahead of Vinny's. And I thought Kurn should have a real monster here to call, or raise all-in, and I didn't feel that is the hand to isolate.

Anyway, chances were that he will fold, and that would leave a pot of 4180, and I have to put in 1380 more. I'm getting here 3:1 for my call, and I'm far from being all-in. That's not bad.

Kurn folds, Vinny shows A /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (much better hand than what I hoped for) and Gwendoline shows 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. According to twodimes, my EV here is 0.329 (it's a close race) which makes it still very good for me (it's 2:1, and I'm getting 3:1).

Well, the flop brought a Q, but the turn was a 9, so I lost to Gwendoline but still took 760.

I think it was a good call.

PrayingMantis