PDA

View Full Version : interesting 4-8 hand

10-06-2001, 12:37 PM
I was playing in a fairly loose 4-8 game the other day. I held a K-7 of hearts in the small blind. A guy opened raised from middle position, a call behind him, then the button called. I chose to call as the pot would be large. (Possibly a mistake, but not a big one.) BB calls. The flop was K-Q-x with no suits. I checked, expecting to abandon my hand. It was checked to the button, who bet. I thought he was equally as likely to bet a Q as a K, so I called. Two callers behind me. Turn was a low blank. I checked. Once again it was checked out to the button, who bet. I called. Both of the other players dropped. The river was a K. WHat do I do here?

I chose to bet. THe button called, I showed three kings, he mucked.

How was this play? What if I get raised on the river, do I have to muck? Or do I have to call because the pot is large?

10-06-2001, 01:26 PM
If you figure to often abandon kings when you flop them then K7s isn't any better than 92s and you shouldn't be calling raises out of position like that.

He may be equally likely to have a K as a Q (except that since you have a King there are 2 kings left and 3 queens left) but there are other hands he'll bet. Your hand is worth a raise. But, since you have Kings you are really only conserned about a stiff Ace over-card flat calling is no big mistake.

On the river ... you just ourdrew the unlikely QsUp. However, the presense of that last King reduces the chances the button has one by 50%. So making trips didn't help much but it increased the chances you had the best hand all along. Also notice that that K looks GOOD to the button's pair of Queens since it reduces the chances the blind started with a King. I'm not sure where I'm going with this. Anyway, you should bet if you think button will not bet a pair of queens otherwise check and often raise.

- Louie

10-06-2001, 02:11 PM
One question. since he had shown weakness with top pair, would not a check-raise attempt been the better play?

10-06-2001, 02:32 PM

10-07-2001, 05:19 AM
wheres the checkraise on the flop? the others had it easy to the turn. try to make it head up to increase your chances. get those other callers out. sounds like button wouldve just called your reraise. if he does reraise, then ya may hafta fold. alot easier than cryin to the river. and more info gained. usually. you actually won more than you would have i think by check raising, but id give up the extra to increase my winning odds rather than give the cheap draw.

b

10-08-2001, 12:37 AM
Only if he's going to bet his hopeful pair of Queens. Many players will check their pair of Queens in that spot, with some justification, which means you are in serious trouble if you check and he bets. Check-raise if he's assertive enough to bet the hands you hope he has.

- Louie