PDA

View Full Version : Good Bet or a Big Bet Error?

10-06-2001, 03:38 AM
Very loose, 9-handed full Hold'em game.

I have no respect for any player.

I have a fairly tight image, but these players could probably care less.

I am on the button with A-9 diamonds.

ALL players call to me. I raise. Everyone calls.

POT=18 small bets ( before rake )

FLOP:

K-8-2 ( K and 2 are my suit: diamonds )

Early position player bets, everyone calls to me. I raise. EVERYONE CALLS.

POT=36 small bets

TURN:

10 clubs.

Checked to me. I bet. Little blind and UTG call. Everyone else folds. ( including 1st bettor on flop )

POT=21 Big Bets

RIVER:

5 spades. FINAL BOARD K-8-2-10-5 ( No flush possibility )

Checked to me.

My question is with a $126 pot ( actually 122 with rake ), who would bet in this situation as a bluff? I was pretty sure UTG was on a draw and missed. ( He didn't look happy )

RESULTS..

I decided to take a shot and bluff. Little blind called and UTG mucked ( as I thought )

I lost the pot to J-5 offsuit. Yes, once again J-5 offsuit.

Like I said, I had no respect for any player.

I have written this hand down in my 'results log' as a $6 BB error. Would everyone agree or disagree?

Comments most definately welcome.

Later,

CJ

10-06-2001, 01:08 PM
I liked your turn bet-for-value but unfortunately didn't get enough calls. But once you don't get enough calls then you set yourself up for a bluff on the river. As it turned out SB will call with any pair and so you are trying to bluff out AQ, AJ, or AT which he's unlikely to have (considering all the OTHER hands he'll call with) so its probably not worth trying. But realistically the size of the pot suggests this wasn't much of a "mistake".

This was DEFINATELY not a "6bb error". Your flop raise gained much more than your turn and river bets lost combined. Your "advertising" is bound to get you at least one hopelessly loose over-call in a few hands.

You are SUPPOSED to take occational stabs at big pots and lose most of the time. Don't worry, be happy, and maintain respect for yourself.

- Louie

PS. Make a mental note of the value of betting one pair on the river in this game.

10-06-2001, 02:51 PM
This is protected pot until there are only two. Then is not so protected. However, he would have to have had absolutely nothing to fold. He must be an really terrible player to go all the way with that junk. You were right to think he was on a missed draw, but you never know what trash people play sometimes. For one bet and one player it may be worth a shot JIC he does make that mistake and fold the best hand. Looks like 21-1 pot odds (i think) However, being that he seems like a no-fold'em player of the highest calibur, a bluff in any spot won't work anyway... so maybe not.

no big mistake though. IMHO

Bill K.

10-07-2001, 03:26 AM
Louie,

Thanks for response,

Actually with writing the 6 BB error, I meant one big bet error which equaled $6.

Thanks,

CJ