PDA

View Full Version : I appoligize, I am misunderstood

absentx
01-22-2004, 07:46 PM
Okay clearly no one saw my "I want proof" post in the same light I did. I may have to change my name if I ever want a response on this forum again!

What I am looking for is just some hard numbers that people have shown over the past few months. Here I will share mine, because obviously everyone thinks I am a "whiny, unsuccesful player" or at least chesspain does /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have been keeping track of online play since november, which is about 200 hours, and currently i am up $144, and I rarely can pull above that. How much play do I need before I can make some conclusions?
My B&M play which is usually at Foxwoods, or in Wisconsin has yeilded better results. I play 4-8 at Foxwoods, I am ahead about 550 at that, but I have only played about 3 sessions at foxwoods, a lot of that is from an eight hour session where I won 480 dollars. But I realize you cant draw a lot from that

So I am struggling to get my self into a profitable situation online, and I am looking to see how other people do. Do you make one deposit and have ridden it ever since, or do you deposit often? Dont take so much offense from my post, I appoligize if it sounded harsh, a friend and I were discussing poker at the time and I was heated.

Just so everyone knows, I have been playing Poker since about 2001 and I study the game just as everyone else does, I havent really really got into online play until late 2003 and I have been playing home games and at b&m whenever I can the whole time. What am I missing here?

Thanks

daveymck
01-22-2004, 08:15 PM
People who are making a profit online do not have make a deposit they play within their bankroll at the appropriate levels. I suspect there are guys on here who have not put money into their bankroll in a long time in fact many take out money to live, assist with college, buy special extras that they would not get otherwise take a trip to vegas or whatever else.

What levels are you playing online, what is your bankroll for that level, you have noted your results monetary results mean nothing unless you combine that with no hands played, how often see the flop, pfr etc etc.

Most people aim for 2bb per hour over a period of time the better players are getting that and a bit more, if you are playing .5/1 then you are running at less than 1bb per hour so you have leaks.

Your 8 hour session at foxwoods is the equivalant to 4 hours online, so with the greatest respect you hit your cards that night based on your comments so far.

I am a newbie here too I suggest if you havent got poker tracker you give it a try there is a free demo, then start posting hands either here or in micro limits depending on the level you play at listen to the advice given think about it and adapt it to your game, give it time and in 3-4 months look at these posts you made today again and answer the question yourself.

I have learnt more in the two months here than I did in 9 months of playing with only lee jones and my thinking I was winning mindset. Give it a try you might like it.

Welcome to the forums.

GuidoSarducci
01-22-2004, 08:37 PM
Absent,

As one who misunderstood your original post, I apologize. I guess I've been hanging around rec.gaming.poker too long. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I've been playing poker online since around November of last year, so around 3 months. I started at Party with $50 and, not counting cashouts, I am up about $400. Now granted, I'm very much still a student of the game, but I can attribute my success thus far to careful study of the information here and reading some good books.

As Doyle Brunson would say though, nothing can replace practice. I learn something new about my game every day, winner or loser.

You have certainly found the right place if you want to step up your game! There are some great poker minds here willing and ready to help out.

BigEndian
01-22-2004, 09:23 PM
I put in about $300 but that's a mix of my initial $100+bonus online and the winngs I had from a Vegas trip. From that initial "roll", I've worked up to $5000 in a little over 4 months.

That being said, a lot of that has been fortune. I was lucky to turn a profit early on and basically benifited from not being as horrible a player as my opponents at the $.50/$1.00 tables. I didn't really start learning what I was reading in books really meant until the last stages of my $1/$2 step (and, of course, I continue to learn).

Now I play a mix of multiple $2/$4 tables and single $5/$10 tables. I'm about a 2-2.5BB/hr player over the period I kept statistics (20,000+ hands). That includes a 200BB swing to the negative.

Winning online is doable.

All that ego-pumping aside, here are a few things that I learned about playing online.

What they say about online limits playing tougher than their B&M counterparts is gospel. I just returned from a Vegas trip where I sat at the 8/16 the whole time and it played like a 2/4 at party once the Bellagio got moving after 5-6pm. An online 5/10 plays tougher than anything I've played in a B&M, by far (8/16 is the highest I've gone B&M).

The lesson to learn from that is 1000 hours of B&M play isn't a borometer of how you will play online, let alone just a few sessions.

Personality doesn't play online. In B&M, personality is a big part of the game and it goes both ways. You can be intimidating through fearlessness and people who are intimidated can have fear put into them. Online, it's just numbers by-and-large. And no amount of comradery is going to get opponents to be less aggressive against you. Who hasn't saved a bet in B&M from chumming it up? That's not necessarily why you have a friendly image, but being nice never hurts.

My guess is that you played 3/6 or 4/8 in B&M and figured to play online at the same level assuming it was all the same. Also, if you've been studying the game since 2001 and you've only played 200 hours online and a few B&M sessions, you are still at the baby steps of learning. Home poker is not the same, by a long shot. If for nothing else, you generally know your opponents much better than anyone you would know B&M and online.

My suggestion is to start off at the 1/2 with a $600 roll you're willing to set fire to. You'll probably be chronically bored at the .50/1.00. Re-read your books (I have 8 that I've read and re-read the past 6 months, and I just finished Sklansky and Malmuth for the 4th time on the plane-flight out to Vegas) and work your way up online.

- Jim

J.R.
01-23-2004, 03:27 AM
200 hours isn't much. What stakes are you playing, how many tables, what sites (some are slow). To be in a self profitable situation you just have to keep playing. What's your bankroll in terms of big bets? If you have a 300 big bet roll and are a winning player (1/bb 35 hands), you shouldn't need to reload. Leave you ego at the door and play at a level you can beat. In the long run you will be happy.

Keep posting, playing, reading and thinking and you will move up in time. Why do you care about other's results? Play the best you can. Hearing how much more someone else currently makes will likely discourage you. But all-in all, poker can be quite profitiable. Keep plugging, I was boderline profitable a year and a half ago and am pretty pleased with my results since then. Keep working and I am sure you will be pleased with your results as well.

Bob T.
01-23-2004, 09:29 AM
I made a deposit, I doubled up, and then shortly after that I busted out. I made another deposit, that took no time to lose. I played live for a while made some money, then made one more deposit, played .5/1.00 until I doubled up, then moved up to 1-2 until I doubled again. That was about 3 years ago, and I haven't ever had to deposit since. Now my regular online game is 5-10, and I usually play one game at that limit, and one game at a lower limit where I play 'bot' poker. I now have bankrolls on five sites, and make regular withdrawals.

Joe Tall
01-23-2004, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just so everyone knows, I have been playing Poker since about 2001 and I study the game just as everyone else does, I havent really really got into online play until late 2003 and I have been playing home games and at b&m whenever I can the whole time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you stated this to say you are 'experienced' then you shouldn't even be asking this question.

You've found the best place to work on your game. All for free. I keep with my suggestion about posting hands and joining the discussions.

Other than that, keep depositing, you'll learn sooner or later, I'm sure.

Welcome again,
Joe Tall