PDA

View Full Version : Correct fold?

kingstalker
01-22-2004, 07:39 PM
UB 3 dollar satellite
blinds 10/20
I have 2000 in chips
I have /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 in the SB, 4 limpers
Flop is /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif2
I raise to 180, get two callers
Next card is the /images/graemlins/club.gif10
I raise to 200, now MP re raises me to 1000,and LP calls
Here I thought about this and figured I could be up against a made straight/ and a flush draw,I figured I either have to go all in or fold here, but I decided to fold, anybody esle move in here?

cferejohn
01-22-2004, 08:09 PM
I don't think I would lay this down in such a low buy-in event. The only hand you're behind now is a straight, and you have outs against that. You could also easily be up against a set of 2's or 8's. That's what I would guess MP had, in fact. 2 pair is also a very real possibility, expecially in such a low buy in event. I think I call here pretty much every time.

Rick Diesel
01-22-2004, 08:30 PM
In a $3 satellite I raise all-in here 100% of the time. Either I will have a big stack, or be out of the tourney. Taking that chance is well worth it to me.

Rick Diesel

BogeyWan
01-22-2004, 09:18 PM
I assume there was no raise pre-flop? With limpers I would raise at least T50 in that position with 99, especially in that low a buy in tourney and especially with your stack. That will absolutely get out everyone who may be taking a cheap shot with 6,8 or 7,9 for example, and maybe even JQ if you've been especially tight. That will at least give you a better idea of what you may be up against.
As far as the situation you've described, I'd have to think hard and know how these guys had been playing. This situation more often than not, one of these guys (probably the one who bet 1000) will be playing A,10; probably even A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. A set is hard to fold, but with a straight and two flush draws out, and a card to come you absolutely fold here and live to fight another day.

kingstalker
01-22-2004, 09:38 PM
I folded on the turn and on the river MP moved all in and LP folded, I suspect LP was on a diamond flush draw.

Jason Strasser
01-22-2004, 09:39 PM
In an event like this, there is no way I'm folding a set. You may be up against 2 draws, or a 2 pair. There is a very good chance you are ahead already. Raise all in--if you are against a straight, u still have outs!

kingstalker
01-22-2004, 09:45 PM
yeah I should of moved in at the very least to save myself the torment of wondering if my decsion was correct.

BogeyWan
01-22-2004, 09:50 PM
No way you stay in here IMO. The MP player he refers to apparently has a lot of chips if he raised 1000 and still had chips to go all in with. You don't usually /images/graemlins/wink.gif want to "have outs" when you put all your chips in. He'd have to catch the case 9 or pair the board to make a boat. I'm sure one of the math guys on here can give you the exact odds on these. I'd guess it'd be close to a coin flip IF you had to catch the 9 or make the boat and IF a diamond or a club (depending on the draw) beats you. Bottom line, there is a very good chance that you are already beat, especially with no pre-flop raise, and your "outs" would not justify risking virtually all your stack if the other guy has just as good a chance.

JohnG
01-24-2004, 12:25 AM
So he can't be against a lower set or a 2 pr hand? I get it all-in here. I beat too many hands.

If I fold this hand, I'm dead money anyway.