PDA

View Full Version : how to read 2+2

jdl22
01-22-2004, 06:22 PM
I was wondering if any of you have any advice on the best way to read these books. It is discussed in the intro of each of them that the material is fairly complicated and it should be read and reread multiple times, but what is the best way to do so? I am currently reading HPFAP. I have read the starting hands sections a couple of times and the loose games section (I currently play .5-1 onlyine so it is very applicable) probably 4 times. As for the other sections, would it be best to read all of them at once or to read each section two or 3 times before proceeding to the next. I (used to) play guitar and bass and when I was learning a new song I would usually start by going over the first line until I have that down pretty well and then proceed to the next line. Trying to go through it all at once was an excercise in futility, at least until I got better at reading music. I would assume it's the same with poker books.

Any thoughts?

crockpot
01-22-2004, 07:55 PM
this sounds like a pretty good plan; learn a play well, then incorporate it into your game. look for situations where it's correct to make a certain play, and pounce on them.

unfortunately, as S&M say themselves, a lot of these plays just don't have much use at .50/1, because your opponents are not good enough to be tricked. if you stopped semi-bluffing at these limits (except when you find yourself against fairly tight opponents), you would probably be doing yourself a favor. however, the advice about taking advantage of weak opponents is very useful, so long as you remember they are less likely to fold a better hand than yours just because you bet.

clovenhoof
01-22-2004, 08:00 PM
The guitar approach would be great, except not too many opponents will let you stop after the flop (let alone let you go and do it again).

My view is that you really have to immerse yourself in it. Read the books, play, get the hand histories if you're playing online and go through them, and read the books again. It can't really be done if you're working -- a few hours at a time isn't enough. Spend a weekend on it, then think about it throughout the week.

One other suggestion, modified froms something in Roy Cooke's book Real Poker II: if you're playing online, play one table only. Turn the t.v. and stereo off, watch the game when you're not in the hand. Take note of who's playing what, and how they're playing it.

'hoof

William Wilson
01-27-2004, 12:39 AM
For what it's worth, I take the same approach to 2+2 as i did in my college literature classes. I'll use TOP as an example.

I first read the book cover-to-cover for entertainment value, not worrying too much about grasping the information. (And, yes, I did find TOP entertaining, despite most reviews).

I then read it again, much more carefully, cover-to-cover, stopping to re-read paragraphs or small sections that baffle me a bit.

Then I go back and read the sections -- such as Bluffing and Game Theory -- that I still couldn't quite grasp on the first two reads. If I still don't get it, I put it down for a couple days/weeks/months and read the section again after a lot of play.

This is a bit tedious, but can be done in your spare time.

The first read is key. If you're like me, you'll amaze yourself at how much you retain from that breezy initial effort. My mind works better when I'm not overly concerned about what I learn.

If you have the time, I'd even recommend reading other books -- esp. non-poker books -- during the time between reads. It keeps my mind fresh.

Hope this helps.

P.S., I think the advice about turning the stereo off is strange. I find that the most strenuous mental activity is actually aided by some background noise. I do, however, agree with killing the TV.

tsr
01-27-2004, 08:29 AM
I just need to say: it doesn't mather how you read the books, the important is learn the concepts! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Lori
01-27-2004, 08:42 AM
As well as being a shameless plug for one of my posts, you might find this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=smallholdem&Number=485301& Forum=All_Forums&Words=done%20this%20that% 20losing&Match=And&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Old=2week s&Main=485301&Search=true#Post485301) of some use.

Lori