PDA

View Full Version : As vs Ts... What would either have done different?

10-04-2001, 05:42 PM
$.50/$1 Hold'em on Paradise Poker:

9 Handed game, I pick up Ad As in the big blind. UTG folds, the next player (EP) calls, the next player (MP1) raises, fold, call (MP2), fold, button calls (B), SB folds, I raise, everyone calls after me (5 players, $7.75 = 15.5 small bets). The games had been getting really dull, with not much action. I'm hoping for a raggedy flop or an ace. (I had actually thought about leaving because the game was getting tight, but I told myself 'next time the blinds come around').

The flop comes 5d 7s 4h. Not exactly what I wanted... not the worst, but not too good, either. But I have to come out betting again (by now, everyone must know I have a big pocket pair). EP calls, MPs fold, B calls. As I said before, the games were getting tight, so I haven't seen very many of their hands. Consequently, I'm not able to put them on any particular hands by their previous play.

Turn brings 7d. High card on the board just got paired up... I wasn't sure what to do, so I came out betting again anyway. EP calls, B folds.

River is Ts. Seeing no reason not to bet again, I bet again. Anyone who reads the titles of these posts should know what happened. I got raised, and I had to call him down to see his pocket Ts.

I don't think there's much else I could have done... But I'm wondering what the response should be the other way around. Do you throw away the Ts pre-flop because there's too much action and 4 other players? (This is what I would do in his position, since there was plenty of people behind him). What about the flop? Do you bet the overpair? Analysis of both games would be much appreciated.

10-04-2001, 09:05 PM
Pocket Tens are a very strong hand. I would have 3-bet before the flop in his spot, but calling and hoping for the set works too. Don't forget, there was no way to see your raise coming out of the blinds. After that, the play is pretty straight forward, though I woulda put in one raise on the flop with the tens and then called you down.

Jeff

10-05-2001, 12:19 AM
It would be a tough fold for TT. On the flop he's getting about 17:1 for his 23:1 shot (and his implied odds are good), and that's if he knows for SURE he's beat. On the turn perhaps he should have folded getting only 9:1, but he's got to be pretty darn sure of the tight-wad in the SB before he can make that lay down.

Don't worry, these things are SUPPOSED to happen.

- Louie