PDA

View Full Version : Let's start over... ($2-5 spread limit)

10-03-2001, 01:07 PM
I've started a new thread on this on and provided more information as requested. $2-5 spread game (you may bet between $2 - 5 on any round), 10 players, $1 SB - $2 BB, 4 raises max, the rake is 10% ($3 max). I've in fact done lots of reading and it seem to me that your starting standards can be quite loose in an unraised pot, especially in late position. There will be many multi-way pots as players seem to see the flop with ANY two cards, after all it cost only $2. I played starting hands that were pretty tight, can I loosen up a bit and play pretty much any suited connecters and a bunch of suited 2 gappers? I know I cannot get too carried away with this, but the nuts was shown down nearly every time and my big cards were busted most of the time by a baby flush or straight. They did not seem like very tough opponents, but I paid them off most of the night. So what are the best types of strategy in this kind of spread game? Thanx!

G.

10-03-2001, 02:33 PM
Lets start off with an attitude check. Know this: when there is one good hand vrs 3 bad hands then probably a bad hand will win. That's why it appears bad hands win more often than good hands: over-all they do! But the ratio of bad/good hand winners is nowhere near the ratio of bad/good starting hands. Thus, good hands are still much better (although much less frequent).

Notice that even with a few players in before the unraised pot, if you can expect it to get heads-up ON the flop your flush and straight draws are virtually worthless. Therefore your starting hand selection is not just based on how many players play but also on how you can expect the post-flop to play.

You need to play sqeaky tight if there are few player in before the flop; in fact rarely play unless YOU are the raiser. Yes, this situation usually offers lots of chances for stealing. You can loosen up a little if there are more players in before the flop OR most pots are shown down. You can loosen up A LOT if there are several players in before the flop AND there is usually 3 in the showdown. "Loosen up" means suited hands and pairs. Unsuited hands are still trash and unsuited trouble hands reduce a little in value.

- Louie

Also, few hands worth calling $2 will be worth calling another $5. Be sure YOU raise with your good hands to reduce the opponent's implied odds.

10-03-2001, 04:16 PM
In a 2-5$ structure the implied odds aren't that great so you still need to be pretty tight. If it were say a 1-5/2-10$ (2-10$ n the turn and river) structure and you could flop for 1$ you could limp a lot of cards. 2-5$ just isn't that great a span.

I'd suspect that suited cards go down in value since it could be costing you 5$ to draw already on the flop. And that's just one bet. The same reasoning goes for connectors, perhaps even more so since you'll probably have to throw away gutshots to a 5$ bet. As always, if you're playing with passive players suited and connected cards are good.

I think you could limp big cards preflop, say AK/AQ since people with draws will be making big mistakes if they call your 5$ bet if you hit.

I'm not sure how the structure of the same limits on all rounds change the play. You probably have to be more aggressive on the flop since that's your chance to push people out of the pot. If they're with you on the turn they're going to see the river.

I'm no expert and certainly not a spread limit expert so this might all be very wrong. So please correct me!

Sincerely, Andreas

10-03-2001, 10:29 PM
With more players likely to call, a friend of mine suggests that raising less pre-flop actually is a better strategy, even with his best hands. He tells me that when the flop hits him hard, then he starts firing away. He raises almost never in EP and MP but a little more than normal in late. Is this play correct? Any other suggestions on pre-flop play? Thanx

G.

10-04-2001, 03:35 PM
I think he's giving the weaker hands far too good implied odds to call.

10-04-2001, 05:55 PM
He contends that they will call no matter what you do. I keep trying to tell him that not raising is like giving these players a license to draw with weak cards. I'll let you know how I did after the weekend! Thanx!

G.

10-07-2001, 09:10 PM
I've played $2-5 spread limit quite a bit, as much as I have 3-6 structured, so here's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

In most 2-5 games you can limp more preflop. It costs less, unless you are in a game with a lot of preflop raisers, which in my experience in 2-5 spread isn't typical. Obviously you can't limp as much or play as many suited connectors if you are in a loose aggressive game, but generally this is not the case. I like 2-5 spread because it only costs you 2 instead of 3 (usually) to see the flop, and the blinds don't cost as much per round either.

A big key is that when you have a premium hand, it is easier to knock people out preflop in 2-5 spread than it is in 3-6 structured. This is because you can manipulate the pot odds more. In 3-6 it is harder to knock people out because you can only double a bet ahead of you. In 2-5 spread, it often has a paralyzing effect on people if everyone is used to limping in for 2 and then you toss out 7. This will usually fold out the people behind you completely. And if it doesn't, then you at least know what they have. For this reason, I think the value of big pairs like AA-QQ goes up in 2-5 spread as opposed to 3-6 structured. The spread limit allows you to manipulate the pot odds more.

And in most 2-5 games I've played in, people tend to just limp in preflop for 2 bucks, so you can play a lot of drawing hands. And unless they're a maniac, they won't raise to 7 unless they have a great hand, and then you can release yours more easily. All in all, I would rather play 2-5 spread over 3-6 structured any day. I just think it is an easier game to beat.

I read somewhere that a lot of spread limit games have dried up, because they give a skilled player more advantages than a structured game does. I certainly believe this is true. The element of luck (IMO) comes in more in structured, you can't manipulate the pot as much, so people are getting better odds to draw out on you. Anyway, I hope you learn to love those spread limit games, I think they are much more advantageous.

Tim