PDA

View Full Version : KJo in MP when the A hits

AliasMrJones
01-22-2004, 04:22 PM
Probably routine, but what the heck. Thought I'd actually post a hand rather than bicker about the 2+2 table.

True Poker 1/2 9 handed. (2 big blinds rather than 1 small, 1 big)

I'm in MP1 and dealt K/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif

EP3 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls, folded to blinds who check. 5 to the flop for 5 sb.

Flop is dealt [4/images/graemlins/heart.gif,7/images/graemlins/spade.gif,K/images/graemlins/club.gif]
Check, check, check, I bet, MP3 raises, B1 calls, B2 folds, EP3 calls, I 3-bet, MP3, B1 and EP3 all call. 4 to turn for 8 1/2 bb.

Turn is dealt [A/images/graemlins/club.gif]
Check, check, I bet, all call. 4 to river for 12 1/2 bb.

River is dealt [8/images/graemlins/spade.gif]
Check, check, I bet, MP3 calls, B1 folds, EP3 calls.

MP3 turns over 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif
EP3 turns over A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif

Knowing that many LL players will play any ace, I hesitated for a second when the A fell on the turn. But, since it was checked to me I decided to bet and fold to a raise. No raise came so I bet out again on the river when it was checked to me again. Would anyone play this differently?

mmanne
01-22-2004, 04:35 PM
I really don't like playing KJo, unless I'm first in from late position. I don't feel like I'm giving up too much by not playing it, and I keep myself out of a lot of trouble. So, I would have folded, but I think you played it well if you see the flop.

My general rule lately has been to stay away from any hand with a J unless it's suited, paired or I'm semi-stealing. Am I giving up too much by doing this (I generally play 2/4, 3/6 Party games)?

Sam T.
01-22-2004, 05:21 PM
For what it's worth, I would have played it the same way.

The question is whether the guy with AA was sharp enough to know that you would fold to a bet, and checked on the hope you would bet for him. But if he were that sharp, he'd have knocked you out with a check-raise. So, genius or idiot?

chesspain
01-22-2004, 05:35 PM
Fold this cheese preflop, especially from MP after one limper!

Nate tha' Great
01-22-2004, 05:39 PM
I prefer raising to limping preflop if you're going to play this one in this spot, especially if EP3 is weak (seems like he is) and will come in on any two.

Maybe I'm a wuss but I'd check it through on the river. Lots of fishy players play their Ax hands very passively, and you've got two fishy players to worry about.

The river also completed a straight draw for someone holding 65, and while I don't think that a weak Ace would try and check-raise, a made straight very well might.

J.R.
01-22-2004, 05:46 PM
My general rule lately has been to stay away from any hand with a J unless it's suited, paired or I'm semi-stealing. Am I giving up too much by doing this (I generally play 2/4, 3/6 Party games)?

Unless you play very poorly post-flop, you give up a good bit always folding AJo and KJo outside of steal spots and free blind plays preflop.

AliasMrJones
01-22-2004, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, genius or idiot?

[/ QUOTE ]

In answer to your question I'll just point out that he limped in EP with A2o.