PDA

View Full Version : Tricky raise. (Longish)

10-03-2001, 10:51 AM
Hello fellow 2+2ers.

5handed homegame for tiny stakes (about 0,5-1$) with a couple of friends. Most of us are at fairly the same level. Both of the other two players involved in this hand has read both hefap and top and do well online just to give you a clue as to their skill

level.

The game has been very aggressive with me probably being the most aggressive player at the table, maybe overly so.

In this hand I'm in the SB and pick up QJo. Good player 1 limps UTG, it's folded to me. Decision time... Him limping and not raising indicates a fair multiwayish hand. Pocketpairs 22-77, 78-JTs, A-baby-suited, QTs, KTs. He can be on a limp-reraise with AA/KK and he might have wimped out and not openraised with decent but not good shorthanded hands like KTo or KJo. (Yes, we have played quite a lot with each other). He wouldn't limp hands that shouldn't be limped such as big aces and similar.

He generally has some respect for when I raises him out of position. (But no respect what so ever for my steal raises somehow...). So if I raise in the SB I figure he'll peg me for a good ace (AJ+) or a decent pocket pair (88+). I generally figure that a Q or J will be good. If I raise I'll probably also be able to steal it if I an Ace falls. A king might do the trick to.

The BB likes his suited cards and will probably defend with most decent suites and a couple of other hands.

Anyway, enough rambling, I raise and try to get it heads up. No such luck. BB calls, as do UTG.

Flop: T73r

The flop completely missed me and none of my bluffing cards showed up. On the other hand the flop is likely to hit UTG's or BB's hand which makes it unlikely for me to buy the pot. I check, BB checks, UTG bets, I fold, BB folds.

Comments please, should I continue pot-shopping on the flop? Should I have limped the hand preflop?

Sincerely, Andreas

10-03-2001, 02:31 PM
After the pre-flop raise, you could've come out firing, representing a big pair. A raise from the SB, especially with 1 limper, could mean anything. If he raises you on the flop, you can either then call it down or just get away from it (you do have two overcards and a open-ended backdoor straight shot). Based on a pre-flop limp, his flop bet looks like top pair-good kicker (KT, QT) at best (but probably a positional steal bet). An overpair is unlikely with no pre-flop raise. And if he is a good player, a set would likely be slowplayed with that unscary board.