PDA

View Full Version : Situation I have never come across....what do I do? I'm stumped.

ClimbRock512
01-22-2004, 03:32 PM
$5+1 multi at Party.
First Round of blinds. 10/15
I'm up to about 2000 where most people are at 1000
My hand = K /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif
I'm under the Small Blind
1st position calls, Button calls, I call, BB checks

Flop comes J /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I'm first to act.... pot is 60 chips.

1.)WHAT DO I DO?!
2.) If I check, what do I do to small raise, big raise, or a raise from the button.
3.) If it checks around, and a blanks hits the river, again, what do I do, and if I check again, and someone bets, what should I do?
I'm assuming if I checked the flop and 4th street is a /images/graemlins/club.gif then I would easily toss my hand.

Vagos
01-22-2004, 03:46 PM
You definately cannot check this flop. I'd make a pot sized and bet and if someone plays back at you move in for all your chips. If you make a pot sized bet and get called and a /images/graemlins/club.gif hits the turn, you can check and if he bets I think you gotta dump it this early in the tournament.

Martin Aigner
01-22-2004, 04:16 PM
ClimbRock,

IŽd check to look what happens. If one player bets pot size (60) and no one else calls IŽd put in a raise to 200 and muck if reraised.

If one player or more call IŽd simply call and look what develops.

Turn (no club): If no one bet the flop, IŽd check again. If someone bets, IŽd checkraise again. (WouldnŽt go all in though)

Heads up IŽd bet about 300 (to not give him proper odds for a flushdraw and not enough to be potcommited)

Against more than 1 opponent IŽd check and call again.

River (no club). 4 players: IŽd bet about 100 into a 60 pot to make it look like a steal.

Heads up: IŽd check (to induce a bluff) and call any bet

3 players: IŽd check and call a bet (though I wouldnŽt overcall a big bet)

Very tough decission out of position

Best regards

Martin Aigner

theBruiser500
01-22-2004, 04:57 PM
Why can't you go for a check raise on the flop Los Vagos? You say you "definitly cannot do this" but I don't understand why not. If it checks around and a club falls he'll have to muck, but that's not really a big deal, the pot is only 60.

LetsRock
01-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Yuck!

Given your chip advantage, I'd proably have to make at least a pot sized bet, maybe even a 2 or 3x pot sized bet.

If you get any raises, it's probably safe to fold unless you know them to be pure blooded bluffers.

The worst thing would be to get callers, especially more than one. Is their flush made? You could easily have someone with a little flush afraid to raise a big flush. Are they on a draw? If I get a call, and a non club on the turn, I'd be real tempted to make another pot size (or bigger all-in?) bet to really test the clingons.

Since you have a stack that's twice as big as the field, you don't have to worry about getting busted and you have some room for playing the bully.

Checking would be the worst option. The nut flush guy is going to slow play this at least until the turn. The guys on draws are probably going to want the free card. What would likely happen is it would check to the button who's going to make the automatic position bet. Then what do you do? Is his bet strictly position or did hit his hand? Now you're facing a is he bluffing or not decision.

The bigger you can make your bet and still leave behind in the face of a raise will give you the most information you can hope for here.

Vagos
01-22-2004, 05:02 PM
I think the best way to play this hand is bet the flop. It may cause people to think he's betting hard with something like the A /images/graemlins/club.gif. He might get raised and double up off a hand like JT, J9 or T9. Checking around just seems too tricky to do this early in the tournament. Let hands like 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif draw for free? If you bet and get called and the turn does not put up a club, then you can bet hard and maybe get played back at by two pair or top pair if they think you're semi bluffing.

jw2k
01-22-2004, 07:37 PM
The first and most important thing to realize here, is that there is nothing in that pot worth risking a large number of chips over. Once you realize this, the play of the hand becomes alot easier. Bet the pot. Just fire out T60, and see what happens, but you shouldn't get into a position of calling off a large number of chips at any point in the hand.

Ideally, everyone folds to your flop bet and you pick up the pot. If not, you should probably take one more stab at the pot on a "safe" turn against a single caller, but fold to any big raises. If you get called down on the turn, you should check the river and call only if he bets out small.

Just my T0.02,
jw2k

p.s. Move up to $10+1. Opponents are only slightly better, but the house cut is halved.

Scooterdoo
01-22-2004, 07:46 PM
LetsRock's advice is pretty much dead on to what I would have said. I also agree that a check would be the worst thing here, but in addition to his reasons I would add the fact that you don't want someone on a draw to see the check and to make a semi-bluff bet of his own which might spook you out of the pot (I would be betting this pot with the A of clubs for example, but would only call your bet).

Better to bet and if someone really does have the flush they can raise you and then you can fold. If the club comes on the turn or river you need to be very careful and probably check/fold. If no more clubs come I would continue to bet it out.

Surprising that you never saw this. Pulling straights with flush draws on the board happen to me all the time. True it's usually only two of the suit, but certainly I have seen it this way too.

jw2k
01-22-2004, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He might get raised and double up off a hand like JT, J9 or T9.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not possible for him to double up here, since he has T2000 and everyone else has T1000. I don't think anybody is going to come gunning after the chip leader with two pair on this board, especially in a $5+1 tourney... so a big raise is more likely to be the A/images/graemlins/club.gif, or a SMALL flush trying to protect itself from the A/images/graemlins/club.gif.

I think you're right about betting the pot on the flop, here. But I don't think he wants to get called here by anyone but the button, and even then I think he needs to take things slow.

Just my T0.02,
jw

BogeyWan
01-22-2004, 08:53 PM
First I'd type this in the chat "Guys, I'm gonna check this to the river and hope no one has hit the A high straight flush for the jackpot hand yet", and then I'd bet 100. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

daryn
01-22-2004, 10:44 PM
are you serious? this is poor advice

ClimbRock512
01-23-2004, 12:01 AM
Well just so you all can sleep tonight, because I know half of you guys were soo concerned about my T60 pot, I'm posting my results.

I bet T60, all three folded, I took the pot. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I was prepared to dump it at a moments notice.