PDA

View Full Version : Need help with PartyPoker MIllion

Acesover8s
01-22-2004, 02:24 PM
I've decided to win one of these damn cruises, I figure if "the champ" can do it, I can too. I've played in the semi-finals twice before, with little success. Admittedly, limit holdem tournaments aren't my forte, I have difficulty concentrating for long periods and bluff a lot.

Anybody have any advice to do with the structure here, or Party limit tournaments in general?

Also, say I have 2,000 in bonus chips available, Should I spread them out evenly, or is it a better idea to put them all on one day and make that day the thrust of my play?

Aceshigh7
01-22-2004, 07:06 PM
Well, I won my cruise in the 3rd set of semi's on my first try, so I'm 1/1. I believe luck is a huge factor given the size of the field. All you can do is try to be very sharp and minimize mistakes. There isn't much room to recover from a loss. You pretty much have to have your stack steadily going up the whole way.
I recovered from a tough beat that put me all-in early in the tournament to become the chip leader down most of the home stretch. I was getting AA and KK so many times it was crazy.
One piece of advice I would give you is if you get a big chip stack, stay aggressive. I saw a few people with huge stacks go into defensive mode a bit too early and ended up finishing just out of the money.

eMarkM
01-23-2004, 12:28 AM
Don't spread your chips, put them in one tourney. Nearly everyone will have more chips than you if you don't and you'll be at a big disadvantage. You'll need every edge you can get with 1200 people to overcome.

Be patient, not sure how much limit tourney experience you have, but once the blinds escalate you'll go through half your stack or more on a hand you see to the river, so make it count.

Also, be prepared for LONG tourney. These things are brutal marathons.

Also, get AA and KK a bunch of times /images/graemlins/smile.gif Seriously, you do need to get lucky to have a shot. Good luck.

Legend27
01-23-2004, 07:39 AM
You have plenty of time to get the max starting chips. Play 3 tables of NL $25 or something for a few hours and you'll have plenty of extra starting chips. It's worth it.
I made the boat on my 5th try but I should have made it on my 1st try but of course was 1st one out of the money. Strategy wise it's pretty straight forward. Play tight and play aggressive. After 4 hours if I'm gonna play a hand I raise, no cold calling. You'll see a few people go on tilt later on because it's such a long tourney. Since about 1000-1500 people will be in each semi you need crack 100k in chips late in the tourney. If you crack 100k you'll probably make it.

act
01-23-2004, 08:19 AM
I won in my third try.

Keep playing tight, but most importanly stay aggrasive. Do not go into a defensive shell to early if you have a lot of chips. Near the end there will be a lot of easy stealing because many players have nothing to win by entering a pot -the opponents stacks become very important.

Good luck! /images/graemlins/smile.gif