PDA

View Full Version : from hero to zero...

unfrgvn
01-22-2004, 11:35 AM
All right, first a little about me. I've been playing the $5+1 and 10+1 SNG at Party for about 4 months. I'm down about $60 over that time, been basically break even the last 2 months. I think I'm getting better with more experience plus reading this forum. I dropped back down to a 5+1 yesterday, been playing only the 10+1 the last 6 weeks or so. The table I get on has perhaps the 9 most passive players at one table I've ever seen. I'm winning a lot of smaller pots by min raise pre flop and pot size or min bet after the flop. I'm not going crazy stealing but winning one good hand per round, roughly. For once I feel like I'm the best player at the table. Now the hand in question:
I'm on the button with about T1600. The blinds are 50 and 100, and each has about T1100. UTG is short stack with about T650. The player to my right has just doubled up to about T1800. UTG goes all in. Player x with about T1000 folds. Big stack folds. I have QQ. Would anyone choose to fold here even if they thought they have the best hand rather than play a big pot? My feeling was that UTG was short stack and could have any pair or any big cards. I am a big underdog to AA or KK, a coin flip to AK, and a pretty good favorite over almost any other hand. I'll give the result since I don't think it affects my basic question, I went all in to keep the blinds from playing. She has KQo and catches the K on the flop to double up.

Thanks
Doug

CrisBrown
01-22-2004, 11:41 AM
Hi unfrgvn,

I'll try to help, but without knowing how many players are left and whether you had any specific reads on that player, it's kinda difficult.

If it was on the bubble, I might have mucked, as I don't like going out on the bubble on a coinflip. But it would depend on my read of that player over the course of the tourney, and most likely I'd have pushed in.

If it's not on the bubble, I'm definitely pushing in with QQ. If he has AA or KK, oh well. If he has AK and hits, oh well. If he has a lesser hand and outdraws me, oh well.

Cris

Prickly Pete
01-22-2004, 11:52 AM
50-100, shortstack utg goes allin for 650, $5 Party SNG with QQ. You've got to play that every time. You will way ahead much of the time.

LetsRock
01-22-2004, 03:29 PM
I agree with Pete. Given your description of the situation (it is a little vague as Cris mentioned) I'd have taken my chances with QQ (even though the ladies have been tormenting me lately).

All the other big stacks bowed out and it sure seems like a good oppotunity to upgrade your stack.

The only thing that makes me lean towards not calling, is your "very passive" description of the table. It would have caused some thinkin, but I still probably would have called unless I had better long term read of the player.

Martin Aigner
01-22-2004, 04:26 PM
Unfrgvn,

no way to muck here. All in everytime (even on the bubble). If UTG (or worse so, a player left to act has AA or KK ), so be it. AK: So what, you got the money in as a clear moneyfavourite, everything else you are way ahead.

Donīt second guess your decission just because you got drawn out. Bad things happen in this game.

Best regards

Martin Aigner

unfrgvn
01-22-2004, 04:47 PM
Thanks to all who replied. I guess I am second guessing myself, what I was wondering is if there were any players who would avoid playing a big pot in a game in which they felt like the favorite. I'll keep at it.

thomastem
01-22-2004, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi unfrgvn,

I'll try to help, but without knowing how many players are left and whether you had any specific reads on that player, it's kinda difficult.

If it was on the bubble, I might have mucked, as I don't like going out on the bubble on a coinflip. But it would depend on my read of that player over the course of the tourney, and most likely I'd have pushed in.

If it's not on the bubble, I'm definitely pushing in with QQ. If he has AA or KK, oh well. If he has AK and hits, oh well. If he has a lesser hand and outdraws me, oh well.

Cris

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris, Hero has 1600 in chips and all-in pusher has only 650. Does the bubble still make a difference?