PDA

View Full Version : Random Ramblings on Mid Limit Poker

Josh W
01-22-2004, 04:43 AM
I need to write. See, I've spent the last hour deciding which is better, "recycling" or going "commando". I've since decided to put the matter to rest by doing laundry. So, I'm up, waiting for the buzzer.

And that leaves me with you, dear forum. You, and Party Poker.

I've had to start thinking quite a bit about poker. See, I've been 'running' poorly. In reality, as Obi--wan and Gaylord Focker and Sooga can attest, I've been playing somewhat lousy. There's too much OTHER stuff going on right now, I guess, for me to be paying enough attention...my own damn fault.

I start every session playing too loose, then end up by playing too gunshy. I'm getting stuck too much, a lot. For example, yesterday, I got into a game for 7 racks. SEVEN. Siete. Ooof.

But, while I keep digging myself holes, I'm proud of how emotionally-in-control I've been. And it made me think about the movie "Rounders" (surprise, surprise). When Knisch tells Damon that Worm is cheating, and Mike (er, Damon) goes to pull him out of the game with Roman and Maurice, Worm says he can't leave now cuz "it's a very emotional game".

That line seemed perfect in the movie. But the more I think about poker, the more I realize that this is a farce. If you really wanna win, you need to be emotionless in the game.

And, as wretchedly as I've played, and as poorly as I've ran, I've done well at remaining emotionless. I've lost to a lot of 2 and 3 outers on the river recently, and I've even often contained the urge to show my losing hand with a "Golly Gee, you sure do suck (out a lot) look".

I guess I'm thinking of the Rudyard Kipling poem (?) where he says something like "if you can keep your head when all others around you are losing theirs, you'll be a man, my son". Not that I'm looking for any poets to call me a man, but I realized that this is a critical part of the game that many great players overlook.

I've done something new, too. I folded AQ in the BB for a single raise. That was a new one for me. UTG raised, all mucked to me, he's very tight passive, and I mucked. He showed KK. And that made me realize that I've been calling entirely too many raises in the BB with raggedy aces, that lead to me bleeding chips.

I also realized that I'm playing too many medium/small pairs. This is particularly silly, cuz every friggin cardplayer article discusses this, and I'm still too loose with them. Gaylord, if you are reading this, I cold-called one of your UTG raises w/ 44 today after one other caller. I gotta think that that's not a good move for me.

And, finally, I gotta say this. I've been playing for 3 years now. I've seen dang near every type of player out there. And I only know of ONE player out there who never has blamed luck, and who always always ALWAYS looks inward when things get going bad. I'm sure that there are others, but I'm the only guy I know of who always blames his own play first.

Tooting my own horn warning...

You can learn a ton of mistakes by watching me play. A ton. But I think that most/all players could take this page from my book. I know that if everybody in my game starts blaming themselves more, and the dealer less, the game will get a lot Lot LOT worse, quickly.

Buzzer.

Phew, don't gotta go commando tomorrow.

Josh

obi---one
01-23-2004, 12:11 AM
I don't think that you have been playing that bad. A few mistakes here or there, but don't let shortterm bad-luck change your game. As an example, I saw this guy yesterday at hollywood in the 40-80. He plays almost everyhand, and seems to be a winning player. That is just the way he plays, and the players are so bad that he can bat them with that style. (of course that didn't stop me from getting smacked like a beatch) I think it is important to play "your game", whatever that might be. Even if you possibly overplay draws in certain situations, thats all right, you have to keep that style but maybe not push so hard if you feel the other person has a hand. But, I have the same problem or trying to outplay certain types of players everyhand instead of waiting for better times. Anywayz, I don't think you are playing horrible, I don't think you are playing great. I think don't put too much on short-term results. And, if you are already examing you game you won't see much of a downword spiral. good luck.

SoBeDude
01-23-2004, 08:10 AM
Commando is the ONLY way to go!

-Scott

Philuva
01-23-2004, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also realized that I'm playing too many medium/small pairs. This is particularly silly, cuz every friggin cardplayer article discusses this, and I'm still too loose with them. Gaylord, if you are reading this, I cold-called one of your UTG raises w/ 44 today after one other caller. I gotta think that that's not a good move for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is a loose game where you are almost positive the blinds will come along as well, then this is an easy call.

Don't let short term luck alter your playing style, positively or negatively. You should constantly be reviewing your play that you made the best decision possible regardless of the results the eventually happen.

nykenny
01-23-2004, 12:43 PM
no need to worry. you will win. you will keep winning. winners keep winning.

Kenny

andyfox
01-23-2004, 02:10 PM
I'm glad you're running bad.

Because it occasions posts like this one. There's a palpable excitement I feel in seeing a Josh W. post, especially one that begins "I need to write." With Tommy now just making guest appearances here, and Sredni gone, there's nobody who writes and thinks better than you, or who inspires me to, hopefully, write and think better myself.

And of course I'm not glad you're running bad.

Josh W
01-23-2004, 04:02 PM
Um, I certainly didn't mean to make this post sound "woe is me"ish. Like I tried to say at the beginning...I'm not running so bad, as I'm playing bad.

I like it more this way...its curable. I played for 8 hours yesterday. I won $27.

Sweet. I wanna dance a jig now.

thanks for the kind words Andy...

Josh

mikelow
01-23-2004, 05:19 PM
Was it worth it? Those are the kinds of you "wins" you get during a deep losing streak. I hope this isn't affecting the other thinngs in your life.

Keep analyzing your game. Perhaps a break for a couple of weeks might help also.

sweetzer
01-23-2004, 09:20 PM
"But, I have the same problem or trying to outplay certain types of players everyhand instead of waiting for better times."

I like your perspective here. While this forum is excellent for listening to experienced players discussing plays, I think the 15-30 level at Party is sometimes better served playing more straightforward. My other game the 20-40 at the Mirage requires more creativity, but now with the poker explosion, it is playing so much looser, that straight forward is making more sense.