PDA

View Full Version : Weak turn/river play?

Nate tha' Great
01-22-2004, 03:34 AM
Party $5/$10 6-max, although the game is currently 5-handed. I've been showing down a lot of winners, so I think my table image is strong. I'm UTG and am dealt A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I open-raise, Button cold calls, and everyone else folds. The Button is fishy and cold calls all the time.

Flop is 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

I bet, he calls.

Turn is J /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I check, he checks.

River is J /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I bet, he raises, and I ... fold.

I don't have anything better than ace high, but I think this was a pretty weak fold, no?

And should I keep betting on the turn?

ZeeJustin
01-22-2004, 04:39 AM
It depends on what kind of fish he is. I will bet that turn against almost anyone. Against someone that will call me down with a pair of 2's, i might check it. Same thing on the river. If he is a passive fish, fold. If he's aggressive, maybe a call is ok.

DaveB
01-22-2004, 07:02 AM
You would be hard pressed to find someone who will fold a pair of 2's here. I would bet the flop, probably bet the turn and check/maybe call the river depending on the player.

James282
01-22-2004, 07:49 AM
I hate the open raise here. You aren't getting bigger aces out but you are likely getting out smaller ones. You advertise you have an ace even if one does come, and you push monkeys out who wanted to pay you off on your flush. I would almost always limp with this hand UTG unless the game was very bad for the party 6 max. As far as post flop goes, I would probably check-call or check-fold the river depending on how my opponent has reacted to weakness in the past. Folding to his raise is fine.
-James

Nate tha' Great
01-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Yeah, the open-raise ... I'll sometimes get into a bad habit of never open-limping at 6-max tables. I suppose I'm worried that I'd be giving away too much info about my hands, and always open-raising *does* tend to get me paid off very well when I've got a big hand. I'm sure that quite a few of my opponenets have notes on me along the lines of "raises light".

But I agree with your point that this might be a particularly bad hand to open-raise with. It doesn't have much playability on a rag flop, and if I get 3-bet, I'm probably dominated/screwed (I'd feel better about having something like 66 or 98s in that spot). In the CO or Button, I think it's a more acceptable open-raise, but here it's undoubtedly trouble.