View Full Version : interesting 4/8 hand: 99 EP raise

09-30-2001, 10:10 AM
4/8 foxwoods game, 2-4 players a hand, but raising usually limits the field.

In the past 5 hours, I have raised in the first 2 positions twice and taken down the blinds both times. (No big hands this session). Also, the 2 blinds for this hand are good, and fold their blinds a lot. So I decided to raise. On to the hand ...

Important players are:

Me: 2nd UTG with 99

CS: calling station immediately on my left,

LP: a loose passive player who plays terrible starting hands (like Q5s UTG) is in middle position,

Cutoff: a decent player postflop, but plays a little loose preflop.

UTG folds, I raise. CS, LP, and Cutoff all call. Blinds fold. Rats.

Flop 36J rainbow. I check. I think these players will call a bet /because/ a bet here is so routine, and the flop looks like it missed me. But any limper could have a jack and these players won't necessarily raise with it. To me, checking here is like checking a weak top pair; I will see where I stand. It gets checked around.

Turn T, rainbow. Bet or not? I bet out, thinking my hand may still be good and I don't want to give a free card. CS and LP call. Cutoff folds.

River is a rag. Check or bet? If I check, should I call a bet?

Results later. FWIW, I am mostly concerned with my postflop play this hand. Obviously, if I thought I was going to get 3 callers I would not have raised preflop.

09-30-2001, 10:24 PM
I checked the river with the intention of calling a bet (getting 8:1, I think I am best more than 11% of the time). I figured that I would be an underdog if called. And, by checking, I might get a lower pair to bet.

The river was checked around, and my nines were good. I didn't see any other hands.