PDA

View Full Version : Weak? Pocket Jacks with scary board

chim17
01-21-2004, 11:41 PM
Party 3/6 . Just sat down so no real reads, my first orbit.

I'm in LP with J /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif . 2 limpers in front of me and I raise. Total of 5 call and see the flop.

Flop is 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 1 bet in front of me, I raise, folded around him and he 3-bets. I just call.

Turn is 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif . He bets, I just call.

River 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif He bets, I just call.

I figured him for the 2 or the 9.. this is my first game at 3/6 and I guess I made the mistake of playing scared =/ Was this extremely weak or a decent cautionary move?

Results in white: <font color="white"> He shows the 2 for a lesser boat </font>

chim17
01-21-2004, 11:50 PM
Re-reading this I think I really blew it. I lost multiple bets.

I'm tryin hard to get more aggressive, but this was pretty lame.

anatta
01-22-2004, 12:05 AM
Don't sweat this one. He has the 9 or is drawing very slim with a smaller pair.

If you raised the turn, and most players would fold a smaller pair here and you would not have won that last bet on the river. If he really did have a nine, you would probably call down his three-bet on the turn.

SaintAces
01-22-2004, 01:25 AM
If you are uncomfortable with that, then go to 2-4 or 1-2. You need to make that bet. Make him pay you off to see the jacks, and if you are beat, type "nice hand" and shake it off.

chim17
01-22-2004, 04:28 AM
Why the river and not the turn?

anatta
01-22-2004, 04:48 AM
I like the river raise /images/graemlins/blush.gif. The third nine changes things, making flopped trips much less likely. I also didn't see that the flop bet came directly from his right.

Would you raise the river absent the third nine?

SaintAces
01-22-2004, 10:19 AM
I would have trouble doing it, but depending on my read, and considering it is PARTY 3/6, I might, but it more likely, that a call is the better play.

The reason why I raise the river is that you are beat to a few hands only. AA KK QQ, and the case 9.

SaintAces
01-22-2004, 10:41 AM
ALSO, if I counted right, Its about a 65 dollar pot (I could be way off - I am tired)

If he senses an extremely strong hand, he only needs to fold about 1/10 for it to be a profitable play. and that is assuming he has the BETTER hand! Odds are that you do!

Doesn't a 43suited look more likely than a 98 right now? Wat about an A3, A2, or even AK right now? TT, 88, 77, 66, 55, 44, are ALL hands that I would bet with if I was him. There is truely a small number hands to fear.

bigpooch
01-22-2004, 10:41 AM
I think you played the hand correctly with the possible
exception of the river. If you think you are a 2-1 favorite
of having the best hand on the end, you should raise, but
knowing that is based on your observations of this specific
opponent; if not, then you played the hand well.

chim17
01-22-2004, 02:14 PM
Isn't that all true on the turn too? I'm connfused why raising the river is correct but raising the turn is not.

Homer
01-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Jack the river. The third 9 makes it less likely that he has quads, and more likely that he has a hand that is drawing to between 0-3 outs against you (2x, small-medium pocket pair). You don't want to give him a chance to fold a hand that is drawing thin on the turn, so you just call and induce him to bet again on the river.

-- Homer

Homer
01-22-2004, 02:26 PM
I'm connfused why raising the river is correct but raising the turn is not.

After your opponent three-bets the flop, you can reasonably put him on 2x, trip 9's, or a small-medium pocket pair. After the third 9 comes on the turn, it becomes much less likely that he has a 9 in his hand, and more likely that he has a hand that is drawing very thin. His 2x, which had 2-5 outs against you, now has 0-3. His small-medium pocket pair, which had 2 outs against you, now has 0. So, since you're either way ahead or way behind, you don't want to raise the turn. Why give your opponent a chance to fold a hand that at a maximum has 3 outs? Just call and let him fire again on the river, planning to raise then.

-- Homer

Louie Landale
01-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Once you raise PF and then again ON the flop it would be tough for anybody to NOT put you on a big pair. Only the most aggressive of folk will keep raising.

And, if he's bluffing you do better calling to the river. If he's got a small pair you gain one bet by raising. If he's got a 9 you lose two bets by raising.

Consider gambling on the river against especially aggressive folk. Consider folding against especially passive folk; routinely call down everyone else.

Appearing "Weak" is NOT a consideration unless you have some real sound psychological warfare strategy that you are applying against these opponents (usually meaning you figure to make them lay down hands in other specific situations). You do not.

- Louie

chim17
01-22-2004, 02:57 PM
Thanks a lot, understand that real well now.

sfer
01-22-2004, 03:26 PM
I had a kinda similar hand last night with pocket jacks on the button. Three limpers, I raise, BB and the limpers come along. Flop comes 336 rainbow. Checked to me, I bet, lose two limpers. I start worrying about loose three checkraising the turn.

Turn comes 3. Checked to me, I bet, and get two frustrated mucks, one giving me a long stare. Hard to believe someone has quads unless it's 3 face cards on the board.