PDA

View Full Version : Bad Turn Raise

09-28-2001, 04:37 PM
This misplay of mine is a counter to the paying off ahead that is so often FPS BS.

Complete fool limps UTG. Solid 2UTG raises. I 3-bet blank KK on the button. Terrible SB calls, UTG calls, solid 4-bets, and I cap as all call.

Flop is 982 w/ 2 spades. Solid bets and I raise, SB calls, UTG folds, Solid 3-bets, and I call along w/ SB.

Turn is a red J. Solid bets I raise and they both call.

River is a 5s and its checked around. SB takes it down with 43s. Solid had AA.

I basically knew that Solid had AA. His initial raise meant very little given the person he was raising but his 4-bet preflop began to suggest it, and the flop action sealed it. I figured that the J was a scary card for him and that since I was going to pay off the river I'd raise here without fear of a re-raise hoping to catch a miracle on the end and get an extra bet. Also, the SB was so awful that I knew he could be around with an enormous variety of hands, many of which my raise would punish if he called.

The problem w/ my raise is that I have so little equity in the money going into the pot even if the SB has a horrible draw. So I'm basically putting money directly into the Solid player's stack (as he pointed out to me) -- and given what the SB held, I'm putting it in both of their stacks disproportionately. I, also, of course, am lucky to not have been re-raised -- but the Solid player misread me as someone not so foolish... It's also entirely possible the river would have been checked down when the 3-flush hit and I'd have saved a bet.