PDA

View Full Version : Flop play

09-28-2001, 02:39 PM
I open limp 3rd UTG w/ AJo -- thinking it unlikely to steal the blinds or get it heads up w/ the blinds and wary of playing this hand out of position. I probably raise here around 3/4. All fold to the BB who checks.

Flop is AJ3 with two clubs (I don't have any). He checks. What do you do -- with what frequency?

09-28-2001, 03:33 PM
Bet every single time. The pot is what it is and he either calls or he doesn't call. Of course I bet every single time here whether I have 2 cards in my hand or not!

09-28-2001, 03:43 PM
Actually, I do bet every single time -- and I think that is probably way too much.

09-28-2001, 03:50 PM
Bet a high percentage of the time when the flop has a two flush. Bet less often when the flop is rainbow.

If you are up against players that wont take note of the fact that you check "monsters" in order to trap (or if you don't have a regular crew of opponents), go ahead and trap a lot more often in either scenario.

09-28-2001, 04:04 PM
The two-flush (and the fact I don't have a club) seem to favor betting. On the other hand, risking runner-runner, by hoping the turn is a club and that a singleton club may bet out or be more induced to call is also an option -- or that another broadway card falls giving a single face card a pair or straight possibility... Obviously, this sort of thing can be expensive when a miracle gets there (or a trapping opponent flops a stronger hand or big draw). But I think there's more room for imagination here than I typically show...

09-28-2001, 04:23 PM
Against an aggressive player, I bet. They will think that after I limped, then they checked, that I might be stealing, and they will likely call with anything equal to bottom pair or better, and they might even check-raise. Besides that, there is a two flush, so I wouldn't want to check and give his lone club another one to go with it. Now, not only would he have a flush draw, but the board would be scary to me, and he would have a good opportunity to make a play against me. Granted, this is pretty much a "going to the river hand," but against an aggressive player, I wouldn't want to do anything to give them an advantage they wouldn't otherwise have.

Against a very weak player, I would check a good portion of the time. Let them catch a card and get a hand. It is highly unlikely that they have anything which has any real hope of outdrawing you. If they catch a pair on the turn, say a queen or king, they might think it is good and start betting into you. As long as the board isn't totally scary, I might even raise them on the river.

Against any players, if you just bet out every time, I would be fine with that. Slowplaying this situation has good and bad points, but if you just NEVER slowplayed at all, it would be fine with me.

Dave in Cali

09-29-2001, 01:25 PM
With only 2 SB in the pot you should check the flop virtually every time.

09-30-2001, 12:30 AM
Dave in cali is reading my mind. Exactly what i would have said. That is if i played this hand. In the 3 hole with AJ off is a muck in this spot. To weak to play in the first 3 positions. occasionally i will play this in very tight games in this spot and raise to either with the blinds or play against the blinds hopefully.