PDA

View Full Version : Sensible Play or weak tight skirt wearer

daveymck
01-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
Hero has A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif and is EP1

Hero limps, MP2 limps, MP3 limps, Button raises, SB calls, BB folds, Hero 3-bets, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button caps, SB calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls

Flop(21 SB): T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, Hero bets, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button raises, SB folds, Hero 3-bets, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Button caps, Hero calls, MP3 calls

Turn(17 BB): 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero checks, MP3 checks, Button bets, Hero calls, MP3 calls

River(20 BB): 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero checks, MP3 checks, Button bets, Hero calls, MP3 folds

Table background typical party mix few loose, couple of tighties and two new players >10 hands both the villians in this one so no reads.

Two hands previous I had been heads up with one of the chatty fish who was still going on about my raising standards to his mate (I had raised with AQ 2 Aces and K had hit I had got agressive and he folded claiming it was an accident he had hit the wrong button and had folded AK). I had raised most hands I had been in mainly cos I had KK, QQ and AK twice, but cos of the recent discussion thought I would mix up play and go for limp reraise. Not somthing I have done often but think it was a mistake with AA need to play it fast.

Preflop capped loads in, flop comes a bit nasty, I had put the Button on pocket 10's-K's at a push AK, bet out on the flop he raises as expected I three bet and expect the others to get out but mp3 comes along as well. Wasnt sure where I was at this point agression had been shown noone had backed down and a lot of hands beat me, 2 out of 4 of the hands the button must have held (I discounted AK), and MP3 with potentially a made straight or pocket nines at worst I thought TPTK a flush draw or a daft two pair 9,10 or 10,J.

River completes the flush and even though I still have outs to the nut flush I feel I want to get to showdown as cheap as possible. My reasons for that was that the pot was huge so everyone was coming to the river raising to reduce anyone drawing was in a way hitting me as I was drawing to the flush and I was potentiall behind so much with two opponants in and the scariest board you could have for Top Pair.

Heads up I think I would have probably raised the turn but not in multipot.

River makes the board as scary as possible potential full house out there as well.

Comments?

Results in a lovely shade of white below

<font color="white">MP3 folded for 1 bet on the river so no idea what he had.
Button had QQ so mhig </font>

hutz
01-21-2004, 08:27 PM
I think you missed a bet or two. I wouldn't worry about a set or the flush until someone told me they had it. I'd have bet the turn or, failing that, raised when the button bet.

umdpoker
01-21-2004, 08:27 PM
i think you played it fine. that board is too damn scary to raise, and the pot is too damn big to fold.

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
01-21-2004, 08:29 PM
When he caps the flop, you can put him squarely on AA-TT (*maybe* AhKh). You are ahead of three of the aforementioned six, chopping with one, and behind two. At this point, calling him down becomes standard. Well played IMO.

Ed Miller
01-21-2004, 09:37 PM
You have to raise the turn. The pot is HUGE. You cannot afford to give MP3 a cheap shot to beat you on the river... there are so many hands he could have that have outs to beat you that he might call for one bet but fold for two.

You have the nut flush draw as backup if you are beaten and get 3-bet. This is not close... just calling on the turn is a BIG mistake.

Ed Miller
01-21-2004, 09:39 PM
When he caps the flop, you can put him squarely on AA-TT (*maybe* AhKh). You are ahead of three of the aforementioned six, chopping with one, and behind two.

This kind of thinking is useful when you are heads-up and the pot is small. It is useless when you have opponents yet to act and the pot is huge.

Trix
01-21-2004, 10:13 PM
I Think i would Bet out preflop, But if you are fairly sure someone will bet behind and to mix your play, limp reraising seems ok. Else there arent much to talk about preflop, ofc you "raise any" with this hand.
Given the flop action I think you can put Button on TT-AA or AK, Maybe AQs, where TT-JJ arent much likely.
Flop: You have to play this one aggresivly, which you do.
Notice MP2s calling and coldcalling and button raising at every chance. This Should Put MP2 on some kind of draw, a Qx,8x,QK,89 or a 4flush. Also this suggests that Button holds TT-AA, where QQ-KK is most likely cuz of the preflop action and you holding the aces /images/graemlins/grin.gif . Guess he also could be holding AxQh, AsQs or AxKh, but these doesnt seem that likely.
Turn: This is where you raise. There is a decent chance that you are ahead and you want to make MP pay for whatever draw he is on or find out if it was a flush draw. If its 3Bet, then it might be a good time to slow down and start praying for the river /images/graemlins/grin.gif .
River: shouldn´t be hard if you raised turn.
Thats my thoughts.
-Trix

daveymck
01-22-2004, 05:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
there are so many hands he could have that have outs to beat you that he might call for one bet but fold for two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for that advice, I think I was in glass half empy mode rather than glass half full, I was too focused on what he could have that beat me now and not all the other hands that didnt that he could be drawing with.

If he was drawing to a straight then with my outs we were as near as damn it to being equal draw wise but I had the advantage of being ahead and should have pressed it.

Ed Miller
01-22-2004, 06:51 AM
When the pot is big, you cannot be shy about protecting your hand. If you can face one or more players with calling two cold on the turn, you should strongly consider it. Even if your hand is a little weak, if you think you should call down, you should consider raising. One extra bet is small compared to the size of large pots. With the nut flush draw as backup here, you have an easy raise.