PDA

View Full Version : 5-10 Home Game

09-28-2001, 12:22 PM
Extremely loose home game. I'm dealt 6-10 D on Button. 5 callers for $5. $30 in pot

Flop: 5D-9C-KD.

I've got mediocre flush draw and gutshot straight draw.

UTG bets 5, is called by three other players. $50 in pot.

Turn: AS

UTG bets $10, raised $10, two folds. Its up to me.

At this point I have at least one of them on two pair, perhaps aces and kings. People will slowplay good hands before flop in this game. However, I am 100% positive that if the diamond comes or the gutshot, not only will I win but get a couple of raises on the river.

I call.

UTG reraises and other caps it.

I call.

River: 6D, pairing the board while giving me a flush.

Check, bet, (I call), check-raise, reraise, (I call), capped, call, call.

UTG turns over AA for aces full. Other player had AK for two pair.

My flush placed.

One of the problems I face in this game is that people play and raise with anything. Both players could have had AK and capped the pot. Or they could have had a worse two pair.

Q: Should I have called the turn bets?

Q I pretty much knew there was a full house after the capping on the river - should I have called the last $20?

Thanks

09-28-2001, 12:35 PM
You should have folded preflop.

regards

jazzman

09-28-2001, 03:18 PM
you should re-read what you posted and correct your mistakes:

1) Holding T6, a 5-9-K board doesn not give you a gutshot straight draw (you'd have to go runner-runner to your gutshot)

2) With a 5-9-K-A board, a 6 doesn't pair the board.

And no matter how loose, T6s is probably not a great hand to stay in with if you intend to make money.

09-28-2001, 06:17 PM
I'll assume the river was the 5d since you're already holding the 6d.

I read somewhere that you're first mistake in a poker hand is the most expensive because it leads to so many more mistakes later. T6s is not a playable hand even in position. I concur with the other posters: it should have beeen folded pre-flop.

But once you've flopped a four-flush, you're definitely seeing the river card if you think a flush will win the pot so you're call in the turn was good.

On the river, I'd call and hope nobody has a full house.

09-29-2001, 02:11 AM
sorry, I had an 8-10d, and the 5 was a 6.

So the flop was 6d-9x-Kd.

One of the problems in playing in such a loose game is that 99% of hands are won by showdown. We play mostly hi-lo games which I really tighten up on, but by playing slightly looser in HE the other players (who are awful) think that I am a loose gun, and it costs me very few bets overall.

BTW, 8-10 suited is playable in an unraised pot, isn't it? FYI, I agree with the 6-10 being really weak.

GT

10-03-2001, 02:17 PM
even with your corrections, the river card could not have been the 6d, because there was already a 6d on the board. if it was another 6, then you missed your flush. the only river card that would have completed your flush and paired the board was the Ad or the 9d. it is very hard to understand posts like this when the hand is liberally reconstructed after the fact. i understand you may not remember exactly what the cards were, but they were important enough that there was a pair on board, and A, a K, and 3 cards of your suit, giving you a flush. a big key to poker skill is knowing what all the cards mean with relation to your hand, and being able to analyze properly the key hands later. remembering the cards is easy enough after you work at it. i personally can remember exactly certain hands that occurred 2 years ago, and key hands since then. suits included. maybe im just anal, but i think i just remember really well. the point is, remembering the cards is important.