PDA

View Full Version : Ferris Bueller's Day off at Lucky Chances

Benn Eubank
01-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Firstly, thanks very much to Greg (Fossilman), the Son of Mogh guy and everyone else that offers such great advice and analysis on this forum. You make the game more enjoyable for a huge number of us.

So, I slipped away from the office this morning to play the $30 buy-in (T1000) and $40 re-buy (T1500) NL hold'em at Lucky Chances. First hand of the day, I'm SB. SB & BB are T25.

I'm dealt 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. 3 callers to me. I check. BB checks. T100 in the pot going to the flop.

Flop comes A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Out of my remaining T975, I bet T300. BB folds, Unknown early limper goes all-in with his remaining T975 (I'm just happy it was the first hand so I don't have to confess to not knowing exactly who had what in their stacks), folded to me. Sort of based on a Cris Brown thread I was reading yesterday, where she had a flush draw and believed her A outs were good, I call (thinking I have 11 outs). Comments? Poor initial bet on this flop? Is a baby flush draw too small to call an all-in here? Does the pair tip the balance?

Results below.

Cheers, Benn.

He had A,3 for two pair and the flush never came. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

William
01-21-2004, 04:46 PM
I must admit that calling all-in with a 6 high flush draw and bottom pair is not my idea of good NL poker. Draws are equal to death in NL and I think that this is clearly one of these situations where you have to avoid the trap a free flop is laying in front of you. Unless you hit trips, flush, straight or 2 pairs on the flop, you don't want to get further involved in the hand.

Take care,
William

Benn Eubank
01-21-2004, 05:04 PM
Hi William,

Thanks for replying and I will take you advice on board. Would you have bet at this flop at all?

Cheers, Benn

Martin Aigner
01-21-2004, 05:07 PM
William,

he likely has the best hand, if you define the best hand as a hand which currently is a favorite to win the pot. Whether he´s on a draw? I´m not sure about it. The raiser might be on a higher flushdraw and therefore the pair of 3s can be good.

Pair + flushdraw makes him a tiny favorite over most other hands (e.g. Ax), and given the fact that there is already 1375 in the pot and he has to call only 675 this call is clearly +EV.

The flop bet for 300 was poor though (3 times the pot)

Best regards

Martin Aigner

Prickly Pete
01-21-2004, 05:18 PM
I would have either checked (and I probably check these types of hands too much) or bet 100. If you get the allin raise there, you can fold it without being pot comitted.

William
01-21-2004, 05:25 PM
I would not have bet this flop, which makes all other speculations on who's favourite with draw + pair compared to pot size, irrelevant, at least as far as I am concerned.

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-21-2004, 05:29 PM
you have to avoid the trap a free flop is laying in front of you.

I think it was Tom McEvoy who wrote that the most dangerous tournament situations come when you get a free play in the BB with a hand you wouldn't normally play and then get a piece of the flop.