PDA

View Full Version : Hand for Comments

09-26-2001, 02:59 PM
Cut-off open raises, and I'm lone caller in (1/3) SB w/ JTs. Is this routine? I typically fold here unless SB is 1/2, and even then I'd consider it.

Flop is KT4 none of my suit (suits never matter), and I check call and start thinking about whether or not I'd take this to the river (likely, yes).

Turn makes board KT4T. I bet, get raised, and 3-bet. When to check-raise? I'll probably only get action if I bet from a real hand, but he'd probably bet if checked to with a wide variety of hands and then nearly always call only with a real hand.

River makes board KT4T8. I bet and get called and I'm good. Would you ever put an aggressive guy on AA or AK and go for a check raise on the river?

09-26-2001, 03:51 PM
Preflop, with the small blind being only a third of a bet, I think it is close between calling and folding with jack-ten suited since the raise is probably a steal-raise having come from the cutoff. I think it is close between calling and folding.

If you have decided to play this hand, I think you should lead at the flop with your middle pair instead of check-calling. Give yourself a chance to win the pot outright on a king-high board against a late position steal-raiser who may not have a king.

Having decided to check-call the flop, I like your lead on fourth because your opponent may not bet the turn if he does not have a king. You have to love it when you get raised on the expensive street allowing you to reraise.

Having 3-bet the turn, I think betting the river is better than trying for a check-raise. Only if has AA or AK will he bet. With other hands he may well check it down but call if you bet.

09-26-2001, 04:38 PM
It doesn't make sense that you would 3-bet on the turn, then your opponent just calls, and then you think you might have a chance for a check raise on the river?

just bet and get your money in. the only situation i can imagine where he would just call on the turn is if he were trying to induce a bet by you on the river (which means he would have you beat with KK or KT). this is unlikely but it is the only situation where he would bet on the river after just calling on the turn. if this is so, it will cost you an extra bet to see him turn over the winner after he re-raises you. if your the winner, their is no way he will bet and you win less because he won't need to pay anything to see your cards.

even if he did have AK or AA he wouldn't bet since he probably knows you have a ten. but you can't put a late position raiser like this (first in) on a AK or AA. any Ace or any K is possible. but again, their is no way you would check-raise on the river as it will cost you money both ways (winner or loser). do you see why a bet is correct?

also, definitely bet on the flop. a call was close and probably correct, and you might have even been ahead, and were going to call anyway so go ahead and bet. not only do these plays add value to this hand but have future value as far as deception goes.

i wouldn't call JTs in a 3-6 game with only one person in even if i were obviously the best player at the table, especially not from the SB. good luck.

09-26-2001, 05:40 PM
I'd bet out against someone if what he did provided informational value. My thinking was that I'm probably going to call this down passively against an unknown (unless I make a monster) and that too often a worse hand will raise the flop and check the turn rather than continue to try and bet it's way to victory. That is, I get more money in when I'm ahead and less when I'm behind...

(Pre-flop, a fold is probably best for me and I can't remember the last time I didn't -- although it's not the first time I've made that call and likely not the last.)

09-27-2001, 07:52 AM
Yes this could very well be a steal raise from the cutoff. I think you can play JTs. But don't call. Reraise to make sure the big blind folds.

Anders