PDA

View Full Version : Trying to understand how to play group 7 hands from LP

JeffO
01-21-2004, 11:04 AM
In HPFAP S&M recommend if your the first one in from late position " any hand that you should play is almost always worth a raise. This ussually means hands in group 1-7" This concept I understand. Later in the chapter they go on to say " if you are dead last-that is, if you are on the button-and there are already callers, you can play hands in groups 1-7."

Here is where it gets a little fuzzy for me. How many callers are you looking for to play a hand as weak as 53s? or 98o? Kxs is a group 7 hand and I know you would like at least 4 limpers to play it, would you generally play other group 7 hands similarly? Am I losing money long term if I play T7s (another group seven hand) against only one or two limpers?

crockpot
01-21-2004, 12:01 PM
i think the best question here is not how many limpers, but how they play postflop. in other words, if they have a high "bluffability", as bob ciaffone would say, a lot more hands become playable in this situation, and with only one or two limpers you might even want to raise to set up a flop steal. i would only do this if i had very good control over them, though.

if they were the type that would rather die than be bluffed out, i would fold most of these hands, unless they were also very passive and let me draw for free to hands like gutshots.