PDA

View Full Version : Bad Fold?

bigslick98
01-21-2004, 10:04 AM
Foxwoods Loose Passive 5/10 Hold'Em Game with a Kill @ 100. I get delt JJ in MP. EP Limps I raise...I get three cold calls, the BB calls as does the EP. 2 of the three cold callers played way to many hands and went to far with them, one played pretty tight, the BB is a very good player as is the EP. 6 see the flop for 12 Small Bets. Flop is 823 Rainbow. Great Flop for my hand. EP leads out, I raise...I am then reraise by one of the individuals that plays to many hands...all folded to EP who calls...I then reraise and am called by both people. 3 left for 12 Big Bets. Next card is a 2 pairing the board (8322). EP bets I call (anyone raiser here?) we are raised by the Hero once again. EP now calls and I FOLD. The river was a blank and the EP checked and the Hero bet...EP folded and hero shows K5o for a complete bluff. I have two questions. First would anyone here lay down the JJ in this spot? One of the other resons I laid it down was the fact the pot was not heads up and there was another individual in it. I felt it would be a lot tougher for someone to bluff with two people in then one. In fact if the pot was heads up I probably would have called him down. My second questions is was this guy picking me out of the crowd, thinking from my play that I am the only one that could lay down a big hand at the table? I only ask this because the guy never made a move all night. He check called when he was not sure he had the best hand and called and raised if he had the best hand...very straight forward up until this point. I was not delt many good hands so I folded more then usual....but this hand has really got me thinking I may need to change my table image. All thoughts PLEASE.

samdash
01-21-2004, 10:12 AM
You should have immediately raised the turn bet and you probably would have won the pot right there.

hutz
01-21-2004, 11:01 AM
That's a pretty weak fold. I count at least seventeen BBs in the pot when the action is back to you on the turn. You are most likely in the lead at that point. Even if you're not, the pot is almost offering you sufficient odds to draw to a J. The combination of those two things mandates at least a call.

Gabe
01-21-2004, 03:35 PM
I would have raised the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
I felt it would be a lot tougher for someone to bluff with two people in then one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because he's not bluffing doesn't mean he's betting the best hand.

haakee
01-21-2004, 03:41 PM
With the guy on your right betting and a big pot it's a good time to raise the turn -- you do not yet have reason to believe you are behind and you'd love to pick up the pot right there. You put yourself in a bad spot on the turn by just calling.

bigslick98
01-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Thanks to all of you for your responses. I agree with all of you, I should have raised the turn. That does bring up another question. If I raise the turn and he reraises, how do I proceed? Thanks in advance for any info.

Softrock
01-22-2004, 01:03 AM
When you have an overpair to the board you should only fold when you are almost absolutely certain you are beat - ie. 3 opponents, four of a suit on board and a bet and raise. Frankly, I think if you never folded when you were holding an overpair to the board for the rest of your playing career it probably wouldn't cost you much if anything. In this case, as stated by others, the combination of pot odds, yourchances of being ahead, plus your chances of drawing out if behind surely add up to calling. And, yes, you should have definitely raised the turn.

ike
01-22-2004, 05:27 AM
If you raise and are reraised you have no choice but to call down. At that point he could show you pocket 8s for the boat and you'd still have close to sufficient odds to call.

samdash
01-22-2004, 06:53 PM
If you're reraised on the turn there is now so much money in the pot that you're probably correct to call trying to hit a jack. Once you've gotten to the river I think you still need to pay off against all but the most predictable opponents. And these sound like a couple of lunatics.