PDA

View Full Version : Dummy straight!

09-21-2001, 01:05 PM
I have put a live $2 small blind on the button because someone got up on their button hand. Before I look at my cads I figure I will play almost any two in this situation in this loose passive game.

I get 3c-4d! The whole while the action is coming towards I am thinking what the heck can I make with this crap?

Anyway, all players limp in front of me, so I call.

I hadn't played a hand in two laps, had been mucking my small blind all night, everyone was noticing how squeaky tight I am... also,to be perfectly honest I *wanted to play a hand*, and figured this play was close enough to not matter cuz I play ok after the flop. Now that I think about it part of the reason I play ok after the flop is that I usually have good cards. With cards like these maybe I don't play so well after the flop. We will see.

Anyway, small blind calls, bb checks. 9 players, $36 in the pot.

FLOP:

5h-6s-7h

Well...

If I'm ahead its not by much as every 4,8, and 9 is gonna come along in this big pot, as well as heart draws.

Miracle of miracles, its checked to me... what to do???

I check. No reasonable draw will fold here. I am hoping a brick hits the turn, like a Kc and I can raise a bettor on my right to force out as many draws as possible.

TURN:

5h-6s-7h--4s

Checked to lady in EP who bets, next to act calls, all fold to me, I fold...

Comments???

09-21-2001, 02:55 PM
34 is rarely a hand to spend money on to see the flop. $2 was live so to call the BB with all those limpers is fine. I would probably bet this straight on the flop. Bet your straight and if you get raised, you know your baby straight is probably not going to take the pot. As a matter of fact, I hope I get raised to know where my hands sits and can get out. Checking and calling is rarely a good play. Your bet on the flop is to gain information about the other hands. If no one raises and they all call on the flop, you can be sure that you are still in trouble. Only two played the turn and you have no control over the table. I think that your bet on the flop could have eliminated a few players as well as take control of the hand. If not, you have gained information about the other player's hands and can play yours accordingly. Your are even in more trouble now that your 4 is duped on the turn. Not sure if this is right or wrong, only how I would play it on paper.

G.

09-21-2001, 07:31 PM
You're thinking too much. Bet when they check it to you because you have the best hand. In the loose games, players love to call on the flop with just over-cards, so you might as well get their money in while the getting it good. If you bet and everybody calls, well that's just GREAT!! You're going to win half the time and you get 7:1 for your money.

After keeping the pot small, you might as well fold on the turn like you did.

- Louie