PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

09-20-2001, 12:22 PM
Lately I've found myself in a situation where I show strength preflop by raising, only three or four players see the flop, and the flop misses me. Now what? For instance, in a PP .5/1 game, I'm in the cutoff with Ad 9d. An EP poster checks. All fold to me and I raise. I raised here mainly to get the button and blinds to fold so I could play a random hand heads up. Button calls (so much for that) and the blinds fold. EP poster calls. Flop comes Qs 2s 4d. EP poster checks. I bet. Question: Is it generally correct to come out betting in these and similar situations? I've got an ace high and a three-flush. I'm mainly looking to win it right here. However, both players call. Turn is Jd. Checked to me. Question: Now what? My ace-high-three-flush has turned into an ace-high-four flush. I bet and they both folded. With two spades on the flop there's the potential that one or both were drawing and when a spade didn't hit, they folded. Okay, so switch that Jd to the Js. Does my play change? What if the flop was rainbow and both of them still called? I know there are probably numerous situations like this, but I find myself floundering when I'm the aggressor against a few people, the flop misses, and the turn doesn't help. So any answers or comments you folks might have would be appreciated. I know this has been kinda long and rambling, so if you made it this far, thanks.

Matt

09-20-2001, 02:42 PM
Keep being the aggressor. The other players probably put you on AA, KK, AK, AQ. If the three flush comes up, you can still lead out and then re-evaluate if a raise comes.

In a low game like that, they could've been calling with a single spade, or a pair of 4s or 2s.

The name of the game is winning money. If these players will fold to signs of aggression, it sets you up for steals and bluffs. More $$$ for you (just never show your hand).

09-20-2001, 03:29 PM
In the live games I play in, I generally bet the flop, especially with position. On the turn with 2 or 1 people in, I will usually still bet, BUT this is where I use tells and my knowledge of opponents to make the right decision. Usually you can find some indication of their intentions - if they are going to call, and I don't want a call....I check. It is also important to use the board and your hand reading skills to know if they are on a draw or not. If they are, I keep betting, because if they hit, I'm gone and if they miss, I made an extra BB from them. There is no straight forward answer to this one, but the key determinants for me are: Tells, Knowing my opponents, flop texture, hand reading and position.

A big leak I used to have was slowing down on the turn if the flop missed me. I have since been far more aggressive betting the turn with a great deal of success. I have found that many people will call the flop hoping that it missed you so they can get a free turn card. Don't give it to them. Make them guess against you, don't guess against them.

Clark

09-20-2001, 05:48 PM
I think it is correct to raise in the cutoff for the reasons you mentioned. You probably have the best hand and you want the button.

I would usually bet this flop, but not always. It depends on what I think the button would call two preflop bets with.

The bet on the turn is automatic. I don't think that anybody folded a spade draw, even .50-1 players aren't that bad, but somebody might have folded a 2 or a 4.

If the turn is the Jack of spades putting a flush on board, it is a check and fold situation, you don't have many outs if called and you may be drawing dead.

09-21-2001, 12:19 PM
I've recently been reading Bob Ciaffone's book, "Winning Poker," which I find valuable for giving some good "swing thoughts" on poker. One thing he emphasizes is that your typical opponents have trouble distinguishing players with tight opening requirements from tight players. I find that if I'm doing a good job of playing selective starting hands and thus am playing fewer hands than most other players, then they will give me credit for having the goods when I continue to push the betting. In the flop above, it would include muttering about me having "obviously had A-Q," especially considering the preflop raise.