PDA

View Full Version : AKo in the BB

sillyarms
01-20-2004, 09:52 PM
1-2 NL hold'em I'm in the small blind with AKo. 3 limpers and the small blind completes. I Raise to 10. 1 caller in Late Position who has me covered. I have about $213.

flop comes AA6 rainbow

I bet $25. He calls.

Turn is a 4. I bet 73 he re-raises me all-in.

Should I call? or should I fold?

Anyway I call. He flips over 66 and I lose my stack.

What I would like to know is..Is there any way to play this hand without loosing my stack? Is it possible to get away from this hand with a clear conscience. Did I overplay my obvious hand?

silly

luckycharms
01-20-2004, 10:22 PM
Hard hand. Once you've gone that far, you've obviously gotta call. You've got the full-house draw (not entirely negligible) and you obviously outkick him. Then again, what else would he raise all-in with? Especially at that limit... hmm... this one is stumping me. I'd call in excitement /images/graemlins/blush.gif

SaintAces
01-21-2004, 12:30 AM
Will he call 10$ with A4/ a less likely A6? Is the table playing tight? Is he lose tight? If he is tight, then call him casue he ain't playing A4 offsuit for 10$.

If you have no read then push in. AQ/AJ/A10 is liklier than A6/A4 because of the 10$ raise. He could also have 44, and 66, which I believe are the two hands that you need to worry about.

I guess: Call and be happy.

SpaceAce
01-21-2004, 06:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He could also have 44, and 66, which I believe are the two hands that you need to worry about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even those seem unlikely. Five big blinds to play 44 or 66? Also, 44 would be pure idiocy after the flop.

Here's how I see it: He tried to limp in, so if he's got an Ace, it's probably a weak one like AJo. He could have been limping with AK but that seems a bit far-fetched. Your raise makes it less likely that you're going to see A4 or A6 but I see a lot of players who will pay big money to play those cards if the cards are suited. Also, if he has an Ace, he will figure that you are less likely to have one and maybe put you on KK or QQ. You didn't tell us much about this guy so I will assume he is not a remarkably tight player, therefore 44 and 66 are not that unlikely. Maybe he has a moderate Ace and picked up a flush draw on the turn. He would certainly put you on a strong Ace if he put you on an Ace at all and so wouldn't fear a made full house from you. Maybe he has a big pair and thinks you do, too, and wants to scare you out of the pot. Maybe it's a pure bluff on his part. There are a million possibilities but I think most of them have you winning this pot. At this point, it's ugly but I think you have to call. I hope he showed you AQ [Nevermind, I just noticed the result].

SpaceAce

Jon Matthews
01-21-2004, 03:25 PM
Even those seem unlikely. Five big blinds to play 44 or 66? Also, 44 would be pure idiocy after the flop.

As a percentage of stack size it's not that much, less than 5%, automatic call IMO.

Agreed on 44 on the flop. If this were a live hand I suspect the outcome would have been different, if only because of the amount of time allowed to think.

Jon

mullaney
01-21-2004, 04:20 PM
I think that your raise pre-flop could have been to $15 with 3 limpers and the small blind.

For $8 more, I know a lot of people who might call that bet with 66. If they hit their set, they might win as much as $200 from you. Seems like the implied odds are there to call. If either you or them had a short stack, it's a fold.

Ulysses
01-21-2004, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Even those seem unlikely. Five big blinds to play 44 or 66?

[/ QUOTE ]

We're playing big bet here. The percentage of the effective stack size is more important than the number of big blinds.

I can recall somewhat recently calling a 25 big blind open-raise w/ 22 because the stacks were sufficiently deep.

Playing hands like these against people who won't seriously consider the chances that you would play them for a decent raise is a great way to bust people at NL.

theBruiser500
01-21-2004, 06:58 PM
You might not be able to get away from the hand, but I think you can at least consider a fold. You have a decent sized stack (at least compared to party poker's $100 buy in). When your opponent goes all in, you have to start thinking about 66. His reraise all in is pretty big, with a decent ace, I think a lot of people would call you down, and then if you check make a decent sized value bet. In my experience, when someone goes all in like that, ESPECIALLY with a big stack, they have the nuts a lot of the times. If you fold it, you might be folding the best hand but I think this will be compensated by the times they have 66. What amarillo slim said is very important, "to be a great player, you have to be able to fold the best hand some of the time." I agree with what someone said about having more time to think about it, the outcome might be different. If you can fold it, I think it's a great fold, but some of the time you'll have the best hand so a call can't be too bad.

By the way, I like your screen name.

danny

SpaceAce
01-21-2004, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Even those seem unlikely. Five big blinds to play 44 or 66?

[/ QUOTE ]

We're playing big bet here. The percentage of the effective stack size is more important than the number of big blinds.

I can recall somewhat recently calling a 25 big blind open-raise w/ 22 because the stacks were sufficiently deep.

Playing hands like these against people who won't seriously consider the chances that you would play them for a decent raise is a great way to bust people at NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say I wouldn't seriously consider them as playable, only that I thought they were less likely. It just seems to me that even if it's only a small piece of your stack, you have to be able to profit from it long-term for it to be worthwhile. I wouldn't expect someone with a $400 stack to beat me with 27o and tell me, "It was only 1% of my stack." Maybe that happens all the time at the $100 tables, though.

In this case, I don't think it would matter if you believed him capable of playing those hands. Just because he would play 44 or 66 doesn't mean he is playing 44 or 66. It seems to me that the AK is good enough and the player is invested deep enough in the pot to make calling perfectly reasonable. Is my thinking about that incorrect, too?

SpaceAce

sillyarms
01-22-2004, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I play the player in question almost daily and looking back I should of known I was beat when he pushed on the turn. It was a stupid play calling when I thought I would usually be beat there but something about those aces screamed call. Mabye I just need better control over my impulses. Anyway you told me what I needed to hear. Especially you bruiser. It's true I had a good hand but deep down I knew i was beat at that point in time.

Thanks

silly